Neo Geo games black every time

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by codezer0, Jul 14, 2009.

Jul 14, 2009
  1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

First time poster, but this problem has got me so upset and outraged I'm practically in tears right now because nothing I'd been able to do has worked, and feel ready to tear what hair I've left out.

My Wii is an NTSC/US LU32 model. I have the 4.0U firmware that's been hacked using the kit from yafaze.

After which, I'd been able to use WiiSCU provided on WeHackWii and had it give me all possible patched IOS's + trucha. Also got Wadmanager 1.4 from waninkoko installed as a channel to make it easy on me to install the wads and stuff.

So far, it has been a blast. All my purchased games work. WiiWare games work. NES, SNES, Genesis, Master system, even n64 games work.

No, the part that has me ready to rip my own hair out with my bare hands are the Neo Geo wads.

I run Wadmanager, in default settings. I install any given Neo Geo game (doesn't matter if it's been made region free or if I use a USA made one). Wadmanager tells me "it's all good." I reload to the system menu, and see the appropriate Neo Geo game in the list. I start it up, and I get black screen. [​IMG]

I know it's running because I hear the audio playing. I check to see if the controller works. Yes, it does. In a way, I could even play the game... except I can't see shit. No, the only way I can get anything up on that screen is when I press the home button on the Wii mote or classic controller, and even then the screen gets 'stuck' showing the last image until I hit the home button again.

I've tried different versions of ├éIOS's, updating IOS's, and nothing. I'm at my wit's end here... [​IMG]

For years I'd never got to play a Neo Geo because of how prohibitively expensive they were. And thus, now I want to experience what I'd been missing all this time, and I can't. I beg you, please help me fix this, and I will [​IMG] before you like the shining knight of awesome you would be for me.

2. Digital1980

Member Digital1980 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    damn! neo geo? blast from the past!!!

[​IMG]

why bother with wads?

Just use alt. methods.

3. kevenz

Member kevenz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    codezer0: yeah! I have the EXACT same problem as you........ everything works perfectly except neogeo games give black screen.

you can hear the sound..... and if you press the home menu, you'll be able to see the menu..... but the video just aren't working...... like these games are pal or something like that.

I tried many things but I've no idea what to do, I have 4.0 U, it worked before on 3.2U.

Maybe with cios rev14, it will work, I don't know.

4. codezer0
    OP

United States
    For me, the Neo Geo was much like the X800XTPE. You heard plenty about it, but nobody ever had one. and with an MSRP of $400 for the console and $200 per game at launch, it was no wonder. However, it was a console that drew my attention not just because so many gaming mags gave press to it, but also because it was so... arcade-perfect when all the other consoles regular people could afford were usually so gimped by comparison.

So yea, I was a bit surprised when Nintendo started offering Neo Geo games on the Wii's VC. Then I started looking up on some of those games I did want to play at the time. Now I'm itching to play, but can't. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    try changing you TV resolution in your Wii Settings. or try component cables if your using HD, I had this problem in the past with these games. and this seemed to work fine, with these games

or you can try this

6. codezer0
    OP

United States
    I'd been using 480p since basically day one of having the console (naturally, component video cables). So, what, change it to 480i?

7. WiiBlaster

United States
    i edit my post above, yea just try different things, i can't remember exactly what i done

edit: I'm going to install one and get back to ya, unless you figure it out first

8. codezer0
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It... actually worked! [​IMG] YES! [​IMG] Thank you, you glorious son of a *expletive*

9. WiiBlaster

United States
    Ok good, guess i'll pass on installing a game then, Well glad you got it sorted

10. codezer0
    OP

United States
    You honestly have no idea. I'm in disbelief that the fix was actually rather simple. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Thank you!

11. kevenz

Member kevenz GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    the fix is nice but kinda sucks at the same time..... means you won't be able to play games in 480p after that.

oh well thansk anyway [​IMG]

12. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I don't think neogeo games have support for 480p.

He got black screen because the resolution used by default (240p) is not supported by TV or/and video cable, same happen with homebrew emulators when using the "original" mode.. and same would happen if you connected a real neogeo to your TV.