Hacking Question Negative effects from a solder pin 10 in JoyCon?

level42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm tired of these jenky "Jigs" to get my console into RCM mode, my question is, if I short out the 2 pins by soldering them together in the JoyCon, thus PERMANENLY leaving it shorted, is there any sort of downside to this? Will there be issues with my JoyCon, or Console where I shouldn't leave this shorted out indefinetly? Or is this perfectly fine to do with 0 risk or dangers?

Thanks!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm tired of these jenky "Jigs" to get my console into RCM mode, my question is, if I short out the 2 pins by soldering them together in the JoyCon, thus PERMANENLY leaving it shorted, is there any sort of downside to this? Will there be issues with my JoyCon, or Console where I shouldn't leave this shorted out indefinetly? Or is this perfectly fine to do with 0 risk or dangers?

Thanks!
Better to use a reed switch so the "button" isn't permanently pressed, Nintendo could start detecting that in a future firmware update.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
People are gonna get banned anyway
Dunno why you want to hide the button press
It's a really easy way for them to detect it, that should be safe from false positives.
Sure there are other ways but this is one of the easiest, and Nintendo always take the easy route when it comes to deterring pirates and homebrew users/developers.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a really easy way for them to detect it, that should be safe from false positives.
Sure there are other ways but this is one of the easiest, and Nintendo always take the easy route.
doing all the reed nonsense is useless
youre gonna get banned, booting into CFW will leave traces anyway
the only way around this is to get 2 switches

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
doing all the reed nonsense is useless
youre gonna get banned, booting into CFW will leave traces anyway
the only way around this is to get 2 switches
Traces can be hidden. And Nintendo have traditionally only done the minimum required when it comes to such things so the harder it is for Nintendo to detect your CFW the better your chances are.
Also, he would void the warranty on his JoyCon, which means if anything goes wrong he has to buy a new one. And according to switchbrew it also makes the JoyCon useless for other purposes (won't accept button input), although according to a post I saw on here that can be solved by using a resistor rather than a direct short.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Traces can be hidden. And Nintendo have traditionally only done the minimum required when it comes to such things so the harder it is for Nintendo to detect your CFW the better your chances are.
Also, he would void the warranty on his JoyCon, which means if anything goes wrong he has to buy a new one. And according to switchbrew it also makes the JoyCon useless for other purposes (won't accept button input), although according to a post I saw on here that can be solved by using a resistor rather than a direct short.
Absurd to think that Nintendo will ban people for detecting button press
yeah right

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Absurd to think that Nintendo will ban people for detecting button press
yeah right
It's not a physical button that exists on the console or that should ever be pressed in normal use so it's not that farfetched especially considering Nintendo's history with halfassing their anti-homebrew/piracy attempts.

level42

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Getting banned is a null issue for me, this is a second switch I bought explicitly to mod, it will never go online anyways.

Also, super noob question, but what is a REED Switch?

Also, there's mention that a "Button" would be permanently pressed? I wonder how long until someone comes up with a mod whereby you "Hold R" to boot RCM, otherwise it's a regular joycon ...

Reactions: NoNoNeko

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, super noob question, but what is a REED Switch?

A reed switch is essentially a wire with a magnet inside of a piece of it so that when you put a magnet up to it, it will activate the current to do whatever. So if you put on soldered onto your switch to short out the pin, you can put a magnet next to wherever you put the reed switch and it will short the pin, kinda similar to magnethax for the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.google.com/search?q=MSU+Genesis&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS988US988&oq=MSU+Genesis&gs_lcrp=EgZja...