neek2o/Wiiflow - Wii freezes after exiting a channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MCUdude, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MCUdude
    OP

MCUdude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    Norway
    Hi! I've been using this forum for some time without having a user account. All my previous questions have allready been answered on this forum, except for this.

I finally managed to get emunand up and running with neek2o. It works great, and I can launch the emulated NAND through a channel on the real NAND. First question: I've read that neek2o can handle NANDs larger than 512MB. Still there are no more than 48 "channel placeholders" on the emulated NAND. What happens if I install more channels than there are placeholders for (using ShowMiiWADs)?

The second question is what bothers me the most: I currently using Wiiflow for to launch all my Wii and GC backups, and was hoping to launch emulated channels from Wiiflow as well. I can select my emulated NAND in the Wiiflow settings, and I'm able to launch every single channel (from emu NAND) without any issues. The problem appears when I want to exit the channel. If I hit the home button and select "Exit to system menu" it doesn't return back to Wiiflow, but the disk drive is flashing every third second or so, and the screen stays black forever. The only way I can get back is to press and hold the power button until the light turns red. Question is: how can I get the Wii to return back to wiiflow (or the emulated NAND) when exiting to the home menu? Note that Wiiflow is running on the real NAND, and all the channels I want to launch is running on the emulated NAND.

Thanks! :)

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    In reference to neek and >48 channels:
    You can install more and they will work but they won't be visible on the system menu so you have to have some other way to launch them. There is a channel app called "Snort48+" that will let you rearrange the channels that are visible but you need to install it before you install >48 titles or you won't be able to see it to run it. :) If you install a huge amount of channels the system menu will freeze while enumerating them. You can launch titles straight into NEEK using USB Loader GX. It just needs the "NK2O" channel installed on the EmuNAND so it can reboot to the real system menu after the title exits.

Wiiflow exit problem: You may not have the WiiFlow return to channel installed. It's hidden and separate from the forwarder channel.

3. MCUdude
    OP

MCUdude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    Norway
    Thanks for the info, I'll certainly try out the snort48+ channel.

So this is still true even if I install snort48+ before I reach 48 channels? I'm not going to install hundreds of channels; I think 60-70 would be realistic.

So this return to channel; should it be installed on the emulated or the real NAND? If you know where (the latest) version can be downloaded, I'd really appreciate a hint :)

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    60-70 shouldn't cause the menu to hang. It might take a minute or two the first time it boots between when NEEK starts and the boot logo with the gray TV screens on it shows up. It won't take as long the first boot.

The hidden WiiFlow channel goes on real NAND if you're using WiiFlow as your game loader from a normal (non-NEEK) boot. I don't know if there's a separate WAD or installer app for it but this should install both the forwarder and the hidden channel.

Last edited by GreyWolf, Mar 21, 2017
  5. MCUdude
    OP

MCUdude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    Norway
    I already had the StarNight Wiiflow forwarder (can be found here) installed, so when I installed the package you linked to in the last post, the StarNight forwarder was replaced by the new one. The new forwarder works fine as a forwarder, but the activity LED just is still just flashing when exiting an emulated channel. Does this hidden channel that was installed along with the forwarder actually exist? Do I have to do/enable anything in Wiiflow to get this working?

I've also tried to uninstall all Wiiflow forwarders (through WiiMod Lite and the Wiiflow Channel installer), and reinstall the "correct version" in the Wiiflow Channel installer, but still no luck.. Any ideas?

6. MCUdude
    OP

MCUdude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    Norway
    Does anyone know how to solve this? Is there any way to verify that the hidden Wiiflow channel actually is installed to real NAND?

7. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    It should show up on the channel management in the system menu. I could be wrong about that, though. It's been a long time since I used WiiFlow.

Last edited by GreyWolf, Mar 24, 2017
  8. MCUdude
    OP

MCUdude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    Norway
    Hmm. The Wiiflow channel itself shows up, but not the hidden channel.. I've also tried to install the WiiFlowLoaderChannel v2 - WIIH.wad (shipped with the Wiiflow masterpiece v4.2) but still no luck.

9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Do you know which version of WiiFlow you're using? There are two or three different branches of it. It sounds like the loader is setting the ReturnTo title ID to one that doesn't exist. That feature works by patching the dol for the game to replace the system menu's title ID to another one when it launches it. Normally the "Exit to System Menu" option on the home screen would just reboot the console to IOS 80 on a 4.3 Wii. The ReturnTo patcher replaces that with another ID, but if there is no title installed with that ID on the NAND the console either crashes or resets.

10. MCUdude
    OP

MCUdude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    Norway
    The Wiiflow version I'm running is called Wiiflow MasterMod (4.2.3-r1076). Is there a specific patcher program I need to gets my hands on?
    Oh, and thanks for being so helpful :)

11. MCUdude
    OP

MCUdude Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2017
    Norway
    It turns out this might be even more tricky than I expected. Now Wiiflow won't boot any WAD from the emulated NAND. I've tried every Emunand/neek2o related setting, and double checked that NAND path in the Wiiflow.ini file is correct.

Now when I'm trying to start a WAD from Wiiflow, the screen goes black, and the blue disk light starts flashing every other second. The only way I can get around this is to hold down the power button on the Wii until it turns red.

What's weird is that after this hard reset, the neek2o launcher channel on my real NAND doesn't work anymore. It finds the USB drive and can load the kernel.bin, but after a while the blue disk light starts flashing, and the Wii appears frozen. If I do a hard reset again and launces nSwitch from the Homebrew channel, it works just fine, and now the neek2o channel launcher suddenly works again.

It seems like Wiiflow is messing with some low level settings, so I don't know how far I should push this..

12. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I think the flashing light means the cIOS couldn't access the partition. I believe NEEK has to have an MBR drive and the filesystem has to be on the first partition and it must be FAT32. neek2o also seems to freak out if the NAND dump isn't in /nands/whatevername/ rather than just /nand/

I just run my WW/VC from SD. :P

It could just be having trouble initializing the drive, too.