Need to virginize Wii, wondering about re-hacking it afterward

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by revanrules, Sep 20, 2010.

1. revanrules
    OP

Newcomer revanrules Newbie

United States
    So after trucking my wii back and forth to college and different people's houses so many times it decided to stop reading discs. I bought the lens cleaning kit but unfortunately that was not enough. I need to send it back to nintendo, but before I do that I figured it would be a good idea to remove all the hacks i've done. I've found a good guide (http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/other-stuff/virgin) but it says that afterwards the Wii won't be able to be re-hacked.

Does anyone know anything about this...is there a way to virginize a wii so that it is rehackable? or am i SOL?

2. mike333

Member mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    Afaik there is no 100% clean my wii guide.
    Cfg USB Loader works fine.

3. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can virginize and still rehack. Just treat it as if you had never modded it when rehacking.

I don't recommend virginizing though. N may still refuse to fix it, since there are things that virginizing won't remove. Also, you can brick your wii if you do it incorrectly. Even if N does fix it, they'll likely give you a drive that won't read burned discs.

Consider changing the drive yourself. It's not difficult, and once you get the wii apart (youtube has disassembly videos), changing the drive is a matter of a few screws and cables. Parts are readily available online.

4. specht

Member specht GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Or if you don't want to go through the trouble of all that (or risk Nintendo not accepting your Wii), you could use an external HDD to load games with a USB Loader. The only problem there is that you won't be able to play a game you only have the disc of without using someone else's Wii to put it on your HDD.

5. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
  6. revanrules
    OP

Newcomer revanrules Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the responses. I've decided to just buy a replacement laser and do it myself.