Need to update my Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Hazard7, May 8, 2011.

May 8, 2011

Need to update my Wii by Hazard7 at 2:30 PM (1,506 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Hazard7
    OP

Member Hazard7 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hi my Wii is already softmod for long time now and it haven't been update in a while as I think I currently on rev17 or something. Do I need to update the NUS and/or cIOS to lastest version? I notice I have Sonic The Hedgehog 4 WiiWare on my Wii and it does not load up because I think it need something but I cannot remmeber. Please help me, thanks.

EDIT: Sorry I don't know where to post this information. Please move it to the right thread please. Thanks.

2. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Modmii is your friend...check the stickies at the top of this forum or use the linky in my sig....

3. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    Problem is I don't know where to begin to update my Wii to latest version. What do I need to do in order to update my Wii? Should I format my Wii and start over again from the begining? Sorry i am such a noob because I know how to softmod it but I barely used my Wii often because it's normally for my family to play with.

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    lol, I always laugh when ppl are told what to do, don't listen, and ask again... hilarious!

I'll spell it out for a little more, this way u may actually listen

Step 1) Download ModMii from my signature or brausm08's signature or just find it in the stickies
    Step 2) Run ModMii on your windows computer
    Step 3) From ModMii's main menu, type "W"
    Step 4) Answer the questions ModMii asks
    Step 5) Follow the custom guide ModMii generated for you

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Just run ModMii and do a fresh mod. You don't have to format anything. If you have anything below System Menu 4.1, I recommend updating to 4.1. If you have 4.2+, it's your choice on downgrading. Most of the fail from 4.2 and 4.3 have been worked around, but if you have a modchip then I advise you to downgrade.

6. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    So I just do a fresh mod doing the (W) from ModMii on my already softmod Wii? Are you sure I don't have to format my Wii? Will my saves on the Wii still stay there or do I need to backup on the sd card?

My Wii is 4.2E and the ModMii said it's Recommended to stay on 4.2.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, what is the latest cIOS and mIOS right now in order to update my Wii?

7. XFlak

Canada
    Positive u don't have to format your Wii, and u will only lose your gamesaves if you do format it.

There's no real difference for you between 4.3/4.2/4.1, pick whatever u want. 4.2 is recommended cuz u already have it installed, so u won't need to spend any time downloading a system menu wad (about 20MB) and installing it.

ModMii will install the latest cIOSs for you. If you want a cMIOS to also be installed as part of your ModMii Wizard custom guide, before launching the ModMii Wizard go to ModMii's options page ("O") and enable the cMIOS installation option.

8. JoostinOnline

United States
    There isn't that much point in downgrading to 4.1 from 4.2 unless you have a modchip. There has been one case where I haven't been able to help a user unbrick a Wii because he was on 4.3, but you should be okay on 4.2.

9. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hey guys, thanks for the update for my wii as i can now play Sonic 4 wiiware. After I done File Cleaning on my SD card, there are some stuff on there that haven't been remove yet. What folder and files do I need to delete? Here is the screenshot:
    [​IMG]

All I know that I must keep Mymenuify_Themes because I install DarkWii Red Theme and there is nothing else but Mymenuify under apps folder. The 1bootmii folder is just a backup NAND folder so I need that (I think). Private folder have nothing much inside to be honest so that should be deleted.

My other SD Card have just stuff like USB Loader GX, emulations like gba/nes/nes/megadrive, covers for usb loaders, etc.

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    You can delete ModMiiGuide.txt and installer.log, but I recommend you leave everything else on there. The nand.bin and keys.bin are especially important.

11. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay cheers for your help.

12. Porobu

Member Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Spain
    Copy your nand backup and bootmii folder to a safe place and leave apps, private, and hacks.ini, and if you have lots of free space dont erase your nand backup

13. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    I got a 8GB sdhc card anyway so I will backup the nand.bin and bootmii on my pc.

14. JoostinOnline

United States
    Don't forget keys.bin.

15. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    LOL I was about to ask for that so yeah I will backup that.

Thanks for the help once again!

16. XFlak

Canada
    I would actually keep ModMiiGuide.txt so that if you ever want to update or rehack your Wii months from now, u can read this file (or share it with someone) in order to see what softmods you already have in place.

17. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hey guys. It's me again. Notice the problem that I haven't even checked. I have USB Loader GX (both apps on the sd card and forward launcher on system menu) and they work perfectly fine before I did the ModMii update. I just found out just now as my mum was going on WiiFit Plus by going on the launcher, the wii gone black screen and there's some random white texts and numbers on it. On the bottom of the screen, I think it said "batch reloading in 5 second. Reloading" then froze up. How do I fix this problem please?

18. XFlak

Canada
    random stack dumps are normal, if it occurs frequently then it could mean something

Try using configurable usb-loader instead of usb-loader gx

19. Hazard7
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay the configurable usb-loader working fine (download FULL version from ModMii) and the game load without a problem. I tried loading the USB Loader GX again but from HBC this time and this is what it said apart from the launcher one.

ERROR!
    USB Loader GX needs unstubbed cIOS 222 v4 or 249 v9+

I found
    222 = 0
    249 = 0

Go figure out how to get some cIOS action going on in your Wii and come back and see me.

PS Is there a wad file for configurable usb-loader launcher?

20. JoostinOnline

United States
    You need to accept that GX fails a lot. Config rarely has problem.