Need to update from 4.2 to 4.3, with hacked wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blademaster_62, Nov 25, 2011.

1. blademaster_62
    OP

Newcomer blademaster_62 Newbie

United States
    Right now, I have a hacked Wii, with system menu 4.2. I need to update my system software so I can play the new Zelda game.
    Problem is, my system is hacked. -_-
    I can use Letterbomb, when I update to 4.3, I know that, but what I need to know, is how do I update the safest way possible? What should I do? Should I format my Wii system memory, or what?
    Please help me. :|

2. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    You don't need to update your system menu. I'm Playing Skyward Sword on 4.1 System menu. Just use modmii to rehack your wii. It will download the newest cIOS and loaders for you to play skyward sword. There's a link to Modmii in my signature.

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Just install Priiloader and block updates.

4. blademaster_62
    OP

Newcomer blademaster_62 Newbie

United States
    It's kind of weird, but I kind of just WANT to update to 4.3. It doesn't do anything, but I just want it done. Why? No clue.
    Any options for me?

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    It does do something, it limits what you can run on your Wii. If you want to screw yourself over for the sake of the latest System Menu, it's your choice.

6. nunavat2010

Member nunavat2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just saw this thread!
    It is easy.
    1) Check whether you are running HBC using IOS 58 (it should show on the top right corner when you go into HBC)
    a) If not update IOS 58 (wiibrew has the link) then use hackmii installer again so that HBC will use IOS 58
    2) Goto preloader (or priiloader) unblock network update (if you set it like that)
    3) Then do a system update through Wii setting (official one)
    4) It will be downloaded and will be updated to 4.3 and you will still have HBC

Caution: I did this with three wii's it did not get bricked, but some claims there is a bricking possibility.

7. nunavat2010

United States
    Like what example please? Assuming, if his wii was 4.2 when he bought it or he updated it to 4.2 before hacking.

8. JoostinOnline

United States
    No region free for modchips, no bannerbomb 1, no bannerbomb 2, bricks region changed Korean Wii's, no DVDX (useless to most people though), and so on. If you want to find everything just do a search yourself.

9. nunavat2010

United States
    I don't see any of them as important and I personally like not having to use custom CIOS, other than the 3-4 necessary ones to run backups, updating shopping channel etc to keep

10. JoostinOnline

United States

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium

12. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    don't update your wii, download whatever ios it uses in modmii, install it, block disc updates in priiloader play your zelda game. happy?

13. nunavat2010

United States
    Update your Wii!
    Who would you believe?
    The people who created home brew or people who are trying to scare you?

The OP wanted to update, so my answer stands. Instead of listening to people here spend some time reading wiibrew!

14. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    Kind or related, I also have a 4.2 and 4.1?. Does something like ModMii update everything to 4.3 standards so I can play online with the consoles that are still on 4.2 and/or older.

15. nunavat2010

United States
    really older wii= wii's that can install bootmii as boot2 and the wii's that can play DVD-Rs.

I know, you can hack older wiis just like new. My point is if your wii is newer, less likely you get your wii bricked. My aim: If somebody ask for help in updating I will tell them how to do.

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    That causes quite a bit of conflict, considering I've made a few apps myself. Besides, wiibrew is mostly crap. They think that the only thing that matters is the HBC. :P
    Yes, it will work fine.
    Lol, what are you talking about? You are more likely to (permanently) brick it if you have a newer Wii.

17. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    So the OP wanted to now just how to update to 4.3.......and me too!.
    So is it just as easy as taking the update from the console menu OR does one need to "erase" anything etc..before a system update?

18. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    I hear this update/don't update debate every time I go on these forums... either update or don't. Your choice. Updating through the system menu will update your IOSes and your system menu version. Using modmii will update your [c]IOSes and not your system menu version. People say there's a risk of bricking when updating through the SM, however I've had no troubles.

If you wish to update, make sure no priiloader hacks will prevent updating, and do it through the system menu settings. Easy as that. I don't know why people have to argue over it.
    If you don't wish to update, then don't - use modmii or something like that.

@lukands, no you don't have to erase anything...just update like the "system update" button clearly says.

19. JoostinOnline

United States
    If you want to do it (even though you will gain absolutely nothing from it, except the slight chance of a brick), you should do it via ModMii. since it will be safer. Do it as a re-hacking process so everything is installed correctly.

@Shano56: The SM doesn't update your cIOS's, it stubs them so you can't use them anymore.

20. Shano56

Member Shano56 noobie

United States
    Sorry, I meant to say IOS's