Need to RMA my Wii and my nephew's laser stopped working: Can I co

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by CZroe, Jun 26, 2008.

1. CZroe
    OP

CZroe GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2007
    United States
    My launch Wii is modded, so I bought a second Wii (D2C) to swap drives with while I do the paid out-of-warranty RMA. It's being RMAed for multiple problems (bad GC memory card slots and artifacting).

The thing is, my nephew's Wii that I also purchased in 2006 suddenly stopped reading nearly all discs, backup or original. I had to load Twilight Princess about 15 times or more to actually install the Homebrew Channel. His shelf was covered in a thick layer of dust and even the coin-cell battery came out with a dust-bunny attached to it!

I tried to run the Wii DVD player with a $20 DiscDoctor drive laser lense cleaner but there was no way it would run the Verbatim DVD+R disc (Symbiote has only released the disc-image player, which obviously can't be used with "thc"). I took it apart and blew it out as much as I could with a near-empty can of compressed air and it started booting originals consistently, albeit, still with problems... Though I watched the opening cinematic after some initial delays, Super Smash Bros Brawl is still a no-go and it locked up before I could even start a match (similar behavior as mine with bad DL media, but this was an original).

He's visiting from out of state and will be heading home in less than a day, so I need to know:
    Can/should I swap laser units from his GC2-DMS drive into my D2C drive before the RMA? It's already a paid, out-of-warranty RMA with multiple issues, and Nintendo already agreed to fix all SSBB Wii drive issues for free, so this is purely a technical question (not moral). Can I just swap the controller board? Do I have to worry about a POT or anything being adjusted for the other Wii?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice