Need to Interview People...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Tom Bombadildo, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    So I'm taking an Intro to Tech Ethics course and we're supposed to conduct interviews of 15 people who have been involved with the tech business for 5+ years and has witnessed a significant change in technology in their time. I've interviewed literally everyone I know who qualifies for this and I'm 2 short, so I figured I'd ask some of the members here. Basically all you'll need to do is answer some questions in a fair amount of details on a text document that I'll PM to you. Shouldn't take more than 10-20 minutes or so, and it'd be extra helpful for me...

tl;dr Requirements:
    Need to have 5+ years in a tech position in any organization
    Been apart of a significant change in technology in their workplace

So if anyone wants help me out, let me know and I'll PM you for more details.

2. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Message me message me!

3. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Ive been involved with videogames for along time. Back in my day, Gameboys didnt have no wiifee or whatever its called, not even color!

4. Tom Bombadildo
    OP

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Just a note, vidya games don't count as a tech occupation ;)

If it did I'd just interview myself >.>

BortzANATOR likes this.
  5. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    If you combine a couple of my jobs I have 6 years in tech positions.

6. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Software or hardware tech? If the latter, pm me. I may be able to help, since I'm doing my thesis on a tech change in a global engineering and manufacturing company

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am sitting here trying to think what could be the case.

Probably the rise of VOIP
    The rise of android and IOS (the first two to actually seemingly pull off a proper mobile phone)
    The rise of virtualisation to the point where I consider you crazy if you have bare metal servers nowadays
    With the rise of voip the telecoms engineer has kind of died off (it is now a general sysadmin thing from what I have seen)
    The death of windows XP though that technically has not happened yet
    The more important part of XP's death though is the death of XP will be a thing thanks to PCs not really needing to be upgraded for office stuff
    I am still living in my cave where bring your own device is the usual "well I saw you use a soldering iron last week, can you fix my hifi?" thing, speaking of such devices though we also seem to be witnessing the start of a stalling there (I fell on it so I might as well take the upgrade is something I have heard a lot this last 8 months).
    Video streaming, youtube and NAS storage type things are not the domain of people that know what XBMC is any more.
    Screen tech development has actually decided to maybe think about picking up again.
    Programming wise I am not sure really. I guess the death of VB, java considering dropping off were it not for android, .net getting quite good... everything else I am likely to write off as a fad.
    I am not sure if I can call more consumer level CNC and 3d printing capability as having happened yet.

However about all of that I am so blasé that I can not recognise half of it for the changes they represent. I mean it is still just less than 10 years since I got wireless.

Satangel likes this.
  8. Would you mind posting the contents of the interview? If its a change before the late 90's I'd be very interested to read it.