Need to add VWF in Wizardry Empires III for English translation

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by MrRichard999, Feb 26, 2017.

  1. MrRichard999
    OP

    MrRichard999 Member

    Newcomer
    12
    3
    Oct 20, 2013
    United States
    Hello. I wanted to ask if someone who knows how to work with VWF could help us implement it in Wizardry Empires III for the PSP. If we could get this working in the game, we can proceed with our translation project with no problems. Unfortunately the current font is too wide :(
     
  2. MrRichard999
    OP

    MrRichard999 Member

    Newcomer
    12
    3
    Oct 20, 2013
    United States
    At the moment we do have a majority of the basics done but can't move on with main dialogues or dungeon lines until this can be fixed.
     
  3. flame1234

    flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    710
    399
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    I looked at it but couldn't solve it.

    Draw type 2: (this one looks OK)
    1.jpg

    Draw type 1: (couldn't solve)
    2.jpg

    What it is doing for type 1:
    1) Building a texture (actually more than one)
    2) Using those built textures to draw the image

    I've never been able to solve one like this.

    Draw type 2 is drawing many letters at a time, but you can go into the routine where it is building the vertex list and adjust things. Specifically, the positions.

    Where you would start is: Set your breakpoint (memory write breakpoint) at the texture address 0x93402b0 to see where the texture is being drawn / created. I did and you get a break at 0x08890618.
    I can't figure out what this routine is doing.

    You can see from the image above that 4bpp is used for the font image, so there's that.
    I found for this one it will not render more than 9 characters, so that will need to be looked at at some point.

    It seems like it is rendering a larger image and then scaling it to fit the screen. On screen, the letters are 18 pixels wide but in the program (in the texture) they are 24 pixels wide (0x18). When drawn, the whole image gets scaled to fit the screen. I adjusted the parameter it uses to do this and got this screenshot:
    ULJM05218_00009.jpg
     
  4. Julio Sotomayor

    Julio Sotomayor Member

    Newcomer
    26
    6
    Jan 31, 2016
    i been plugging away at it, more out of boredome than anything else. it's a very small game, the entire script either of us could probably type it into into the game using only a hex in probably 1 day.

    2 problems:
    - 18 "letter" limit for sentences, buuut it's not really that bad as the default game itself seems to go out of its way to present as little text as possible. i've never seen a game cut soe many corners. very few npc's in the game, only about 2 or so per dungeon; much, much less talking than in empire 1 and 2, the previous games.

    - however there are npc, and as if the game's font drawing (or lack of drawing) funcion shenanigans wans't enough, the dungeon npc's dialog seems to be either compressed or encrypted. i don't know enough to know which! all of the other game text, both in the eboot and umddata bins (the only 2 files to edit in the game), have stuff running from spells, monsters, npc dialog (the ones in the Towns, plus special story scene text, etc); and i can edit it just fine: but the dialog spoken by the npc's inisde the game dungeons is all inside umddata and it's scrambled like this--

    Here is picture of turban guy, from game's 1st dungeon, saying stuff at u:
    [​IMG]

    then i do the usual to find something random
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    and yeah, p. much entirety of the other bin, the one with the items/spells/monsters and also dungeon npcs that's how the conversations look like. the control chars are the same ones used for the dialog for the town npcs; plus it's pretty obvious how that's dialog.

    what i don't know is what to do. so even if the game gets an increase in amount of letters per sentence, this is still #1 obstacle.