Need to a new phone- recommendations plse

Discussion in 'Android' started by emigre, Oct 25, 2014.

1. emigre
    OP

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    My HTC Desire of several years is dying on me and I think it's time to upgrade. A recent tax refund has helped give me extra some funds as well as payday this Friday.

The problem is I know jack shit about new phones so I really need some help here. I've got a pretty good rolling contract which I want to keep using.

I have certain criteria:

• I'm willing to spend £300. I can go beyond that if needed.
    • It needs to be able to fulfil traditional phone functions cos y'know it's a phone
    • The UI needs to be responsive and functional. None of this lag sht.
    • I'm going to use it primarily to listen to music so a phone good for that is much appreciated
    • I would like a phone with a nice screen and decent enough size (I've been using a 4.3 inch screen)
    • Gaeming use will be minimal at best.
    • Ideally I want it to support external memory but can live with internal memory
    I've looked at the Google Nexus 5 and S4 but I can't really tell heads or tales with all of this stuff.

So yeah, help a Bro out please.

2. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Well I use the Nexus 5 and after 1 year it has many "problems" like the screen going on and off without touching the designated button and some problems with the sound and what not ;(
    (still it feels like a very good phone and I have no idea if this is only because of my luck or because the phone quality in general)

After some research I for one am very interested in the Amazon Firephone or the new Nexus 6 which sadly is to expensive in my opinion.

P.S. the fire phone seems to have very very very bad reviews XD

3. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    I have a Nexus 5, as well, and have experienced none of those issues.
    But, seeing as OP wants to listen to music, I think the HTC One M8 or M7(depending on his budget) would be a better choice because of the speakers...

4. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I've got a Galaxy S4, and I like it a lot. Sure it comes loaded with a lot of shit from Samsung, but I don't mind really. I listen a lot to music with it (using Poweramp) and watching videos, and I personally like it. I find it responsive, and good... but I tend to like stuff that no one else does so.. yeah.

Oh, and I listen using headphones and in-ear stuffs. The speaker isn't amazing, but sounds good enough... I don't think listening through phone/laptop speakers ever sounds good haha. I haven't heard the HTC One's speakers so I can't compare!

My mom has an S5, and it looks gorgeous! I haven't played around with it that much though.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The Nexus 5 is a great phone, but the lack of external storage options kind of killed it for me (as I, too, use it for listening to music more than anything).

I've got a Galaxy S4, had it for over a year now, and it's been a great phone for me. It's taken quite a beating over that time and is still right as rain, battery has yet to die on me (and if it does, it can be easily replaced unlike the Nexus 5 which has to be slightly disassembled to do so), I've used it for music for at least a combined total of 500+ hours and the headphone jack is still perfect, and because Android I've had 0 problems with bloat or anything since I can just root (literally a one-click process nowadays) and remove whatever I don't want.

6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I also add another for the S4, i dont use the samsung firmware (touchwiz) ive flashed to aosp (nexus firmware), this gives me atleast an extra couple of gig of internal space plus i've got an additional 32gb memory card. I've had the phone for about a year, havent had one issue, putting it on aosp as well allows me access to a system wide equaliser as well as a different kernel (kernel) to boost the internal volume to make the phone a bit louder. It also helps me give the phone a bit of extra power when its needed or helps me prolong the battery when the phone doesnt need the extra power.

Games aren't a problem either, I also get a benchmark score of 31000 compared to touchwiz's 26000. If I had to make one complaint about my s4 its that the inbuilt video decoder doesnt do an amazing job so i tend you use mx player and use the software video decoder, still plays 1080p flawlessly this way so not really a big issue, just takes an extra second or 2 on the loading of said video

7. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    I'll give a shout out to Samsung. I was on a Moto Razr Maxx forever and it was a piece of crap. I spent months researching for a new device. Samsung really seems to have it down for reliability and reliable for Android OS updates. The bloatware is annoying, but it's a lot easier to deal with bloatware on an Android than say, crappy hardware or an unreliable company that won't push new OFW. I rooted mine day one and got rid of all of it, and have loved the experience ever since.

I personally have a Galaxy Note 3, but I've used an S4 as well. Aside from screen size, they behave near identically.

For your requirements:

• I'm willing to spend £300. I can go beyond that if needed.
    The Galaxy S4/Note 3 aren't brand new releases. The Note 4 has some nice beefing up, but it doesn't mean the Note 3 is out of style. The S5 is a negligible upgrade over the S4 and has gimmicky features at best. You aren't shooting yourself in the foot by going with it. Check out swappa for buying one secondhand (I know they're for NA, but I think they have EU as well). Swappa checks for stolen/blacklisted devices and checks for device quality. I've gotten three perfect phones from there. They are good prices as well. Going off US prices, the S4 seems to be around $200-$300 (~£124-186 £) and the Note 3 is $300-$500 (~£186-310)
    • It needs to be able to fulfil traditional phone functions cos y'know it's a phone
    Never had any calling issues with the note 3. In fact, it sounds pretty clear compared to others.
    • The UI needs to be responsive and functional. None of this lag sht.
    I don't put up with any sort of lag on my device. With the hardware it has, it would be surprising to see it do such a thing
    • I'm going to use it primarily to listen to music so a phone good for that is much appreciated
    I've used both 3.5mm and bluetooth, both are great for listening to music on this device (I use Google Play). The note 3 has 32 GB int. I have a 64 GB Ext in it as well, allowing for up to 96GB storage. Locally storing music is no problem.
    • I would like a phone with a nice screen and decent enough size (I've been using a 4.3 inch screen)
    I believe the S4 is around that size, I'm not sure. If you have never tried a "phablet" before, I sincerely suggest the note 3. I always thought it was too big and never wanted one myself. I went out on a limb and tried it, and have hated myself ever since for putting it off for so long. The screen size isn't too large, it's just right. It fits easily in my pocket too--even in skinny jeans.
    • Gaeming use will be minimal at best.
    I run emulators on my Note 3. Mostly for turn based RPGs. PSX, N64, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, GBC. No hiccups, and I can store as many ROMs/ISOs as I want with 96 GB storage.
    • Ideally I want it to support external memory but can live with internal memory
    The Note 3 /S4 both support external memory. 64 GB media is sub $50 now. Even with excessive emulators and music and even a few TV seasons, I haven't even hit near half.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Anything without external storage is a big no-no to me, so I'd disqualify the Nexus 5 or the LG G-series immediately (although some LG G phones do have SD slots, most western ones don't). If I were to pick something, I'd go for the Galaxy series. Your best bet is having a look at recent benchmarks and look at the budget-to-performace ratio.

Rocc0 likes this.
  9. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    It might be on the budget-side of things, but personally I would give the Moto G a good look. As far as performance goes it should be fast enough for just about anything while not going overboard, the touchscreen is rather nice and the LTE/2nd Gen versions of the Moto G also support removable storage.

10. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    I've been exploring the lesser-known side of Android phones, and there's a newcomer to the scene that's been doing very well on the Asian side of the world: a Chinese company known as Xiaomi. They have some of the nicest phones I've seen (especially at the lower price point that they're hitting), but they haven't even bothered touching the North American nor European markets. Their phones run MIUI out of the box, which seems more responsive than some of their bigger brothers, and offers a clean UI (inspired by Apple :P), which is somewhat fresh and different to that which you see on other Android phones. I'm actually looking into picking up one of their phones sometime soon myself.

If you're willing to save some money and don't mind a 5.5" display, maybe take a look at their Hongmi/Redmi Note (name varies by region). It looks to have a nice long battery life, a pretty decent 8-core CPU, and that expandable memory slot that you want. If you don't mind spending a bit more, you could also go for their flagship models (the Mi3 and Mi4), which are smaller and better built, but do not feature a memory card slot (you can get them in 16GB and 64GB varieties). The familiar DealExtreme carries them and provides free worldwide shipping, so it may be a potential option for you.

11. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    A shout out for the Galaxy S4. It's sexy. But really, I've had it for a few months. The speaker is decent enough for non-headphone listening, but I mostly use headphones. I use the stock ROM and it can be just a touch laggy at times, but not often and not more than about a half second. Otherwise it works great as a phone, works great for playing Pandora when I'm out and about, and is pretty great all in all. I've even used it for Netflix and watching most of Hunter x Hunter via Crunchy Roll's app (that site I made the mistake of actually paying for a month membership of). The memory and battery are both easily accessible, which is nice.

12. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    iPhone 5C - meets all of your criteria except external storage. That's one of the few downsides of Apple devices.

Honestly though, UI and lag-wise the iPhone's unbeatable.

On the UK Apple website it's going for £319, I'm sure you can get a better deal with a plan or something

13. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    I am going to recommend the current two top dogs,
    The Lumia 1520 and the HTC M8 for Windows 8.
    Fluid UI, full OneDrive integration, full Xbox integration, etc etc etc.
    ;)

14. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    You can get a iPhone 5 for cheaper and 5 have a tad better CPU than the 5C ;)

15. beenii

beenii GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Oneplus One, hands down. Great, potent, high-end smartphone, for less the other manufacturers want. Specs, which will suffice for years and OTA Updates of the newest Android (cyanogen-mod) instantly! Nothing comes close (IMO) if you are willing to pay the 270 Euro

16. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    the s4 will fit the bill
    you can root it and remove all of samsungs useless apps and services
    install a custom rom for aosp if you want or just stay stock touchwiz
    and poweramp is the best portable music player app out

17. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    if you can get a One Plus One.

http://oneplus.net/

not only it is in your budget range.. it is a top phone. this would have been the phone i get, if it wasnt for the nesux 6.