[Need Tips/+Qs] Managing XCIs/NSPs, moving them to/from SD & updates to XCI. (On SX OS)

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by AdvancedNoob, Aug 30, 2018.

1. AdvancedNoob
    OP

AdvancedNoob Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2009
    Mauritius
    So I am just getting into the scene and have read up on most things, and have done my searching. But with the pace things are moving I figured I'd ask this instead of keeping on searching. I've done my experimenting with ReiNX and AtmosphereNX via SDFiles and have been using tinfoil to install games. After some thought I've decided to pay up for an SXOS License for convenience.

Now a perk of using SXOS is being able to play XCI files. But I personally prefer NSP files cause they install on and then I can delete the install file. I have never used XCIs so opinion from those who do would be good.

My dilemma is I have a 64GB SD Card. My question is if I install NSPs onto the SD Card, is there a way to move the games back out and install new ones on there? Like is there a tool to move games to/from the SD card? Because theres only so much you can store on 64GB, I know getting a bigger SD Card would be the easy fix but I cant do that right now.

Is there a way to install games and leave it be? Where are NSP files installed on SD Card? Maybe I can copy them back out of SD when I dont wanna play them and install new ones. I am inclined towards using NSP files because even when you get annXCI file for a game theres trimming involved and the only way to update them is to install an 'update NSP' on top of the XCI. I do realize if I use XCI's I can do exactly that, move XCIs I dont plan on using back to the computer and keep the ones I'd like to play on the computer. But when I do that what happens to the updates? Are updates written into the XCI file when you update from devmenu using a NSP file?

I have also heard about just installing title keys or something like that and have them actually load through the NSP file itself on the SD card? I havent found much info on this, so some info on this would be appreciated too.

I hope this is the right forum for this thread!

2. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    E8 lattice
    NSP you have to install to internal or SD card, your choice. You need twice the space for the NSP and install. The NSP gets deleted automatically now if you wish. Need more room? Gotta archive stuff to uninstall it.

XCI, copy file to SD, play. Need space? Delete it.

You must choose, but choose wisely.

3. Torina

Torina Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2018
    France
    Both are good.

I use NSP for games I know I like and I want to be installed in my internal memory (Odyssey, DOOM, OKAMI, Manticore...).
    cons: if you need space and delete it, you must have kept a backup on your PC

XCI are for big games I have little interest in and may delete sooner or later (SF2, Splatoon 2, Hyrule warriors, Skyrim...).
    Easier to manage, just move the rom as you please.

Updates are not written into the XCI, but your console keeps in memory the latest version you played on, be aware (until you reset it using devmenu).
    Also, prefer Devmenu to install NSP over SXOS, the latter crashes if your archives are corrupted for whatever reason.