Hardware Need suggestions for fixing my old 3ds xl desperately need help.

NewWorldHodor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello folks! first of all i apologize if this is not the right place to be posting this, but i really really am desperate and searching for any advice i can get. I have CFWs installed on my 3ds for about 2 years now and i have hundreds of hours dropped into multiple games on my olds 3ds xl, i always take my console to work with me in my pocket and play it on my break. The first problem that started emerging was that the console started shutting off on me while it was in sleep mode, when ever i would move the console or walk with it in my pocket.... over time i still continued playing my o3ds and just accepted this. After about 3 or 4 months of this occurring i started shiny hunting on pokemon silver VC, well i would press start select A B to reset it, well it started turning off on its own soon as i'd reset the game, after it doing this about 3 or 4 times i turned the console back on it to find that the screen has a very slight pink tint to it, and is slightly fuzzy as well. I do not want to do a system transfer onto another console as i have all my save data on this console and as stated before i have my CFWs on it. I am thinking about buying a broken o3ds xl off of ebay but i simply just do not know for certain what might be the cause of this or whatever. I did make a reddit post on r/3ds and so far my only advice has come from there, stating that it may be one of the ribbons underneath the motherboard?? i also have a guide book marked on my computer on how to take apart the 3ds xl so i can get to whatever i need to... i absolutely love my 3ds xl and i do not want to die on me yet as i still have TONS of games i need to finish... Please any and help would be GREATLY appreciated. i can also link pictures to the way the screen looks if needed ( its both top and bottom ) Thank you and thank you so much for looking at my post <33

NewWorldHodor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the screens are starting to go bad. If you don't want to lose all data either replace screens or swap motherboard into another console.

I got another page booked marked on how to take out the motherboard out of 3ds xls.... So that would be my best bet you think? Just take out the motherboard out of my 3ds xl, buy another one , and place it in there along with my sd card??? I have a tiny bit of experience messing with electronics but so long as i have a good guide with pictures on how to swap out the screens i can totally do it... So i will retain everything so long as i swap out the mother board and place onto another 3ds xl???

Last edited by NewWorldHodor,

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got another page booked marked on how to take out the motherboard out of 3ds xls.... So that would be my best bet you think? Just take out the motherboard out of my 3ds xl, buy another one , and place it in there along with my sd card??? I have a tiny bit of experience messing with electronics but so long as i have a good guide with pictures on how to swap out the screens i can totally do it... So i will retain everything so long as i swap out the mother board and place onto another 3ds xl???
Yes or just replace the screen.

NewWorldHodor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean like, replacing top and bottom one? do you think that would be harder to do than swapping out the mother board?? this is the guide im going to follow

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+XL+Motherboard+Replacement/25399

and also, does it need to be just any old 3ds xl ?? Doesnt matter if its the same exact one as mine? ive also had people tell me they thought that maybe one of the ribbons that go to the motherboard may be out of place...what do you think about that?

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whichever screen has the pink tint I assume the top screen which is a pain in the ass to replace. Could be ribbons, but usually it's just wear and tear on them and they are slowly getting worse.

NewWorldHodor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a613748da129636ce48e266a7a7f6879

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Whichever screen has the pink tint I assume the top screen which is a pain in the ass to replace. Could be ribbons, but usually it's just wear and tear on them and they are slowly getting worse.

Both of them have the slight pink tint. Okay then that is my battle plan. im going to go on ebay and look for a old 3ds xl that has a broken motherboard and replace it with my own.

Heres one i found that has a broken motherboard apparently

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Ninte...sh=item284635f41a:g:CuAAAOSwmgFZzsU1#viTabs_0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-3...5e4cf0584:g:-PcAAOSwU4FaCiFJ&autorefresh=true

Thank you so much for replying to me man this has absolutely drove me crazy and im dying to get back to playing MH4U and Shin Megami Tensei 4 and pokemon... I figured these two posts above from me would be good candidates, So my goal basically is this: Find a 3ds XL with a broken motherboard - buy it - replace it with my own - Be happy

NewWorldHodor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also wanted to say that: Not just the top screen is slightly pink tinted - both top and bottom are pink tinted and fuzzy. Does that mean they both went bad at the same time

NewWorldHodor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the symptoms of a broken motherboard on a 3ds xl? Trying to find one on ebay instead of just buying another 3ds xl to save money, but im guessing i may just have to buy a used 3ds xl that is not broken and then just do the motherboard swap

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1