Need someone with networking skills to help me

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Linkiboy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Linkiboy
    OP

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Anyways, I'm sure you all know the wonderful person that is my brother.

He recently got his own PC, and pretty much torrents all the time. His torrents pretty much bring everyones speed down to 50KB/s, as opposed to the 667kb/s if he doesn't.

I tell him to turn it off or use the neighbors internet, but he replies with its "only going at 30KB/s!" Yeah, but that doesn't mean the rest of our network isn't unaffected.

So I have a Linksys router. Can I do anything to let us use the unused bandwidth instead of trying to get through the single clogged internets tube(or as far as I understand, thats what it is)

2. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    His upload speed may be too high. Limit that, and reduce the number of global connections in the torrent client he is using.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Step1) get a demo of usenet (to ease the transition torrent sites act as a nice barometer for what to look for).
    Step2) If that fails do what kellyan95 says although I would drop the connections first (start with 3 or 4 and work upwards). Any decent client like mutorrent can do it.

4. Linkiboy
    OP

United States
    Well, hes torrenting two things, and there are only 4 people on internet total, including me connected using ethernet.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The torrent app opens many connections to others and tries to use them all at once causing what you see, it is not your physical connections.

Also encrypt the traffic, some ISPs (especially in the US) dislike torrents.

6. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Change the router password and remove his port forwarding settings from it. Mean, but it'll work [​IMG]
    Or throttle his maximum down/up speeds in his client down to something lower (but he'll probably know how to change that back.)

7. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    I'm pretty sure some Linksys routers have custom firmware you can install which can allow you to do some advanced stuff like port/network throttling etc, although I don't know much about such things.

8. DarkMatt

Newcomer DarkMatt Advanced Member

Australia
    Most new-ish routers should have a QoS type setting where you can give priority to certain IP addresses, meaning even if he's downloading, when a higher priority IP requests bandwidth, he slows down as opposed to you. At least that's how it should work [​IMG]

9. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    Have him lower the upload speed. Definitely.

Back when I lived with my family, my dad was torrenting and although he was downloading at 100KB/sec, he was uploading at 40K (which is the max our ISP allowed for upload speed), which in turn affected the rest of the entire network... and there's 11 computers to serve a connection to in the house. After lowering his upload speed to 20, everyone's speed came back in at a good solid 500K+ for whatever we were doing.

10. Linkiboy
    OP

United States
    I lowered his upload to 40KB/s and max connections to 6. I got a huge performance boost instantly. Then I QoS'd to give myself the highest priority. [​IMG]

11. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    chances are your linksys router will be able to run custom firmware. DD-WRT is the best. it includes new settings for Quality of Service and bandwidth priority. you could flash your linksys with dd wrt, and just set his QoS to low, and your priority to exempt. torrents will still work, but anything in/ouf of your PC will be 'more important'

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

install instructions
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation