Need some ideas on a video game music presentation

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Wombo Combo, May 10, 2011.

1. Wombo Combo
    OP

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    I have already written a paper on the impact of video game music and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I could present in class as examples.

More than likely I will take some clips of music from early video games to more modern ones and put them in a video and discuss them in class. Anyone have any ideas you think would be cool? Do I start with Mario, Sonic, and move on to Final Fantasy?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Many people discount video game music as an art form, so be sure to point out various common concepts of music that are found.

For example a gameboy color game with a baseline.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznDNc71o2A[/youtube]

Too lazy to grab more examples right now.

3. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    I think it would be interesting to focus on how a game has a particular score that is unique to it. I mean, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Final Fantasy all have different types of musical score, and I think it affects how the gamer perceives and/or plays the game. Take the best examples of the music clips from various games in various genres and from various eras (8-bit, 16-bit etc), that might be cool.

4. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Show this to them as an ending to your presentation and BLAM! you'll knock it right out of the park.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A[/youtube]

It's best that you start at the 8Bit era and work your way to modern. Start your presentation with something that everyone recognizes, the Super Mario Bros. Theme song, and work your way from that point. It's also important to show them the diversity of video game music can range from classic to techno. I think that being able to showcase musical diversity is your greatest asset here.

5. RPG_Lover

Newcomer RPG_Lover Advanced Member

United States
    Why not start with some of the classic sounds from the early arcade games? I realize that many early titles didn't offer much in the way of sound, but I like to think that the intro and mini cutscenes from Pac-Man, as well as Donkey Kong, Frogger, etc are simple yet iconic. From there, SMB1 theme, then onward - Sonic, Final Fantasy, etc.

One track definitely worth mentioning is "Baba Yetu" used in the PC game Civilization IV, since it is an award winner, albeit after the fact...

Just my two cents... Good luck!

edit: KingdomBlade beat me to it..

6. Blackzeta

Newcomer Blackzeta Member

Canada
    It would be cool if you start off with an 8-bit classic theme then add to it by putting newer remakes of that song. (Ex. Super Mario Brothers theme) then state some things on how video game music can improve over time and have remixes. Then put modern video game music (Ex. Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3: JPOP/JRAP, Example song: Mass Destruction) Then state how in olden days video game music would only be catchy tunes and now it's just like record songs in which video game companies hire singers. Then state how many people play video games and enjoy it. Then conclude it in total. If this does not get the main idea of the project then if you wish use the example music and just say what you want.