Hacking Need some help updating 3.55 kmeaw

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm trying to update my 3.55 kmeaw to the new rogero v2 cfw using this guide (guide in the spoiler). Everything went well, until I got to the last step(the actual installation of the new cfw). At that point all I'm getting is a data damaged 8002F157 error, and it refuses to update.
So I did some digging around, and found that most people said to install the 3.55 OFW before updating to Rogero v2. So now I want to be sure that this is the correct course of action before doing so (especially because the recovery mode says to only use updates higher than 4.11).

And, while I'm at it, I'm confused by step 5 (dehashing), is that really all there is to that step or am I missing something.
Guide by GSTAR01
Step 1 - Preparing USB stick (format)
Spoiler:
Connect your USB stick to your computer.
Go to my computer, right click on removable drive and click on format.
File system = FAT32
Allocation unit size 32kilobytes
You can quick format or full format, up to you.
Then hit format.

Step 2 - Preparing USB stick (folders)
Spoiler:
Create a folder called PS3, within that folder create a folder called UPDATE.
So it will be like this - USB\PS3\UPDATE\

Step 3 - Transfer files
Spoiler:
MultiMan and any other pkg files you need to install should be copied to the root of your USB. (ie in no folder)
Then Copy and paste Rogero's latest CFW into the UPDATE folder. (eg USB\PS3\UPDATE\Rogero_CEX_4.30_v2.03.PUP)
Once copied, rename it to PS3UPDAT.PUP
Now run MD5 checks, very important! (refer to md5 check & sums above)

Step 4 - Installing pkg files - latest multiMAN, installpkg, toggle_QA etc...
Spoiler:
From XMB (ps3 menu), scroll over to games section and click on install packages.
One by one click and install all.
First install installPKG and then install multiMAN ver 04.17.00 and then multiMAN ver 04.18.0 (UPD) and so on.

Step 5 - Dehashing
Spoiler:

Note: Dehashing is for 3.55CFW, it won't work in CFW4.21/CFW4.30, don't worry, if your on CFW4.21/CFW4.30 you can simply skip it.

Go to Game XMB and if you scroll down you should see Toggle_QA.
Click on it, your screen will go black and it will reboot into XMB.
Now go to network settings, don't click into it, just hover or highlight over it.
Then all at once press the following combo - L1 + L2 + L3 (press left stick) + R1 + R2 + dpad_down
You should see Edy Viewer, Debug Settings, and Install Package Files if done correctly.
If you do not see it, run the Toggle_QA program again until you see it.

Step 6 - Nand/Nor backup (skip if you already have a valid backup) - Tutorial by FeintNightmare
Spoiler:

Note: You need to have atleast one PS3 game on your HDD.
Note: If you do not, you can either FTP a game to it or you can run multiMAN, insert any original PS3 game, hover over the game and press triangle, then click on install (or backup).
Note: Once you've created that backup, take out the disc and proceed with the tutorial.

1. Insert a FAT32 formatted USB to the right-side port of your ps3 and run multiman.
2. After it loads , start file manager( its an option that is there in Multiman)
(NOTE: shortcut to start multiman's file manager SELECT+START)
3.when using file manager , go to to /dev_hdd/GAMES/* any game u have*/
( example: /dev_hdd/GAMES/CODBOP2/)
and open the PS3_DISK.SFB file(or the param.sfo file of the game) by pressing 'X' 2 times on it.
screenshotefj.png

4. after u open the .SFB file u can see a lot of numbers ,shown in a hex-decimal form,
as shown in the image
press SELECT and u will get a LV2 View.
screenshot1dy.png

5. when on LV2 view press start , (that is after we pressed select in step 4.)
screenshot2uo.png

6. you will then get a message " Do u want to export GAMEOS LV2 memory to a file",press no, then it will show a message asking " Do u want to export HV LV1 memory to a file" say no for this as well, and then u will get a 3rd message asking "Do u want to export FLASH memory to a file" say yes to this.and it will start the dumbing process.the dumb will be saved to the root of ur usb.
7. you can now exit multiman, disconnect the usb from ur ps3 and connect it to your pc,
and inside the USB u can find a file named 201***FLASH-NOR-FW.3.55.NORBIN (if ur ps3 has NOR) or 201***FLASH-NAND-FW.3.55.NANDBIN( if ur ps3 is having NAND).

Transfer nand/nor back up to your computer and keep it safe.

Step 7 - Installing 4.30CFW Rogero v2.03
Spoiler:
Make sure there is no disc in BD and that no internet connection is available.
Plug your USB to your PS3.
Then go to system update in XMB and from there select mass storage.
Your done installing

fibban

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the upgrade the other day to 4.30 2.03 using Rogero instructions on tortuga-cove with no issue. You shouldn't have to dehash, especially if you haven't downgraded from 4.11 or 4.21.

I took me a couple of tries to toggle QA successfully, and I did read that there was an issue with the ftp at psx-scene for latest version. Follow the instructions to verify the MD5 is correct, I'm using winmd5.exe.

I did not try the upgrade until I verified the qa-toggle was successful, but I am niot sure it would really matter, more likely bad download.

nasune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No I did downgrade the ps3 (from 4.11 I think), and I get why it has to be dehashed. I'm just not sure if the step thats outlined in the guide is all I have to do (toggle it and nothing else). And I verified the download using the MD5, so I'm pretty sure the download itself is fine (I got it twice, from two different sites as wel, just to be sure).

fibban

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most dehashing guides seems to referring to be needed if you are using a Rogero 3.55 CFW to have the syscon hashes reset. Kmeaw has them reset already as far as I understand. Please see guide below, which says to instal kmeaw or OFW after qa_toggle. Interesting is says it should be done through recover menu, I do not know if you installed kmeaw through recoery or XMB.

http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=3638

As I never experienced any issues going from KMeaw, I am not sure I can be of much help then but it could be worth going OFW after the qa_toggle in your case.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I understand, it IS needed if you have previously downgraded your console.
It resets information on the system somewhere, so without it it may cause a brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1