Need some help deciding

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by cLaWz, Dec 31, 2006.

Dec 31, 2006

Need some help deciding by cLaWz at 11:05 PM (621 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. cLaWz
    OP

Newcomer cLaWz Newbie

Afternoon all, first post here on GBAtemp. Hope I can get alittle help with what I'm looking to do.

For my sisters birthday coming up I was going to pick her up a DS Lite and mod it so she could use it as an MP3 player as well, instead of having to get her both. Being new to handhelds (haven't had one since the original Gameboy) I've been reading over reviews and people experiences with this that and the other, seems to be alot of conflicting info out there.

So my question is, what would be a good solution for my sisters that would allow her to listen to MP3's and run backed up games (so she doesn't have to carry around a stockpile of carts)? I was looking at the DS-Extreme but the lack of a removable SD card throws me off. Want her to be able to load up with a ton of music so she doesn't have to bug me constantly to change/reup stuff to the card. Also would like to keep the cost down. I don't have a money tree growing in the backyard! [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh, almost forgot. I was also looking at a PSP, but seeing as how I grew up on Nintendo and they have always had the gameplay to go with their systems I was leaning towards the DS.

[EDIT] Wanted to mention that flashing, cracking open the DS, etc doesn't bother me. Have done the same to my Xbox to turn it into a media hub for the family [​IMG] Larger parts to work with but I think I could manage.

2. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    For a low-cost solution, you can get a Supercard Lite
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=40941

Or a Supercard SD(cheaper but sticks out, not sure if thats ok)
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=30230

Which both can be purchased from www.gameyeeeah.com
    You probally wont NEED to flash your ds, since if you buy a "pass me" type device that doesnt stick out, it wont be noticeable (still suggest you do it) But you'll have everything you need if you buy the "combos" from Gameyeeeah

Using "moonshell" (kinda like a media player for the ds [​IMG] ) You can easily play MP3's and even video (with someconverting [​IMG] )
    You can play Most (i really mean most, about 95%) of DS back-ups on it [​IMG]

Plus its cost is Su-purb [​IMG] One of the cheapest solutions [​IMG]

EDIT: thats alot of smilies

3. cLaWz
    OP

Newcomer cLaWz Newbie

So essentially if I get the Supercard Lite, I will not have need for a SuperKey correct? Have only found a few sketchy guides on what is needed/not needed for going the card route or the flashing route.

I swear this thing is so much more complicated then the Xbox. That was simple, even going from a chipped box to a softmodded and back!

4. wiki

Member wiki GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    if you get a supercard lite you will still need a superkey.

right now, don't bother with either supercard products as there are cheaper and better solutions out there like the r4 and m3 simply. You don't need to buy a pass me or any additional hardware besides a micro sd card.