Hacking Need some help convincing parents...

silent sniper

!dennaB
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well, i want a wii mod chip. my parents don't want me to have a wii mod chip cuz they think i'll break my wii, etc etc. so please, help me convince my parents (who would be paying) to let me get a mod chip.

soo, please, post some good reasons, i'll show my parents this topic when i get some, and hopefully, i'll get a mod chip.

edit: also, could somebody please tell me the difference between an NTSC wii and a PAL wii?

0nyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.There are NO RISKS to break your Wii at all.The wort thing that could happen is the modchip installation fails and the Wii can't read backups.

2.It's easy to install.A professionnal modder won't fail the instal,that is sure

3.All the money you are going to save....

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly, your parents should be telling you that piracy is wrong and you're stealing from the people who work hard to make your video games.

Also, if you are planning to mod the Wii yourself and you don't know the difference between NTSC and PAL, or which version your Wii would be, I'd have to agree with your parents. Although irrelevant to soldering skill, your lack of knowledge makes you seem somewhat overconfident about the feasibility of this undertaking.

However, since you're not going to care about that anyway, I'd have to suggest quoting the financial benefits of not having to buy games for your Wii anymore. I guess you might learn a thing or two in the process, but that's not really anything you couldn't learn by just reading about it. You'll learn much more by following the non-intrusive wiibrew.org homebrew efforts than by simply shoving a piracy-supporting module into your console.

How's that for a post to show your parents?

silent sniper

!dennaB
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@ pottageb: why did i laugh
@ coolbho3000: thx for the wiki sites, but i don't trust sending my wii to a professional installer...
@ cockroachman: apparently my parents believe that i do need a better reason.
@ onyx: 1. are you sure?
2. not getting a professional.
3.i know!

edit: @ progidysim: the piracy thing, well, i'm cheap, and my whole family is cheap
grog.gif
, now i do know the difference between NTSC and PAL, and yes, i don't give a crap at all.

0nyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well get a professional or the install might fail...Also depends if you have a first generation or third generation wii.First generation=Easy to mod(6 Wires) but third gen=Hard to mod(something about 25 wires)

silent sniper

!dennaB
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
well, i have a launch wii (kinda, second shipment to my local VG store, early december). but where would i find a local installer, i'm pretty sure i can't just look in a phone book and find 'WE'LL MOD YOUR VIDEO GAMES FOR YA"

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a risk? Yes. But if you have a pro install your chip, 99.99% chance of nothing going wrong.
PAL = Euroland, NTSC = N. America, Japan

arsehat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is there a risk? Yes. But if you have a pro install your chip, 99.99% chance of nothing going wrong.
PAL = Euroland, NTSC = N. America, Japan

It also depends on how you go about getting your plunder.

Those who pillage the rich pickings of the wide blue P2P seas will also need to consider things like foreign firmware updates, which can have your Wii up on the rocks faster than you can say "Arrrr".

Those whose pillaging only takes them as far as the local Blockbuster won't find such rich treasures, but the risks are less.

silent sniperand anyone who says google is a idiot.

Okay, I won't tell you to use google. Instead, I'll tell you about what I found with two minutes of googling:
http://www.gocybershop.ca/customer/product...?productid=1542
Pack it up, post it in, get it back modded with a WiiKey.

Don't know how good or trustworthy these guys are, but they're listed in the Canadian White Pages too and appear to take direct credit card payments (meaning they've managed to establish that kind of a relationship with a bank, as opposed to a payment processor like paypal) - so I don't think they're going anywhere soon. There are probably a few other places that offer that kind of service in Canada too. If you don't know or trust a local installer, then it might be worth looking for postal services like that one.

Rammoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another reason is so you can play games from different regions, like there are quite some japanese games out there which are definitely worth playing, but won't ever reach any region outside Japan

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A pretty good reason is you can steal games off teh internetz!!

Also you can put solder into your Nintendo!

Ever soldered anything the size of a penny with contacts the size of this capitalized letter: "O"

xtc

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
modchipping is only half of the battle. owning a good burner, good blank dvd media, and some common sense on how not to brick a wii.

silent sniper

!dennaB
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i could've insulted you SO badly right there, but being that i ain't allowed too, i can't.

anyways, i got a good burner, good dvds, and i have some fucking common sense. btw arsehat, they do seem like they know what theyre doing, but... if you look at the price tag, you find.... $80. waaaay too much.

btw thanks guys, great reasons.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things