Question Need some clarification..

Seriel

Doing her best
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed there's some inconsistancy about links. Specifically Gateway and the Plailect guide.
Some people say we shouldn't because of pirated stuff while others just casually use the link and no one cares?

Where do the official rules stand on this?

Thanks.
~Jackus

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
what does linking to gateway & plailect guide have to do with piracy? you can't link to pirated materials, that's it as far as i know

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what does linking to gateway & plailect guide have to do with piracy? you can't link to pirated materials, that's it as far as i know
The mods don't allow linking to the Gateway website. As to why, I don't know. Probably because the download package they have there contains copyrighted code (or something like that).

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just don't link to the actual files and ur fine. I would thing if linking to the guide and other stuff like it was an issue they would be removed.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Linking Gateway and the Plailect guide are not actual piracy, you can talk about these things on the site freely I guess, because they don't neccessarily mean pirating(?) But for example, you can't link in THAT ISO SITE, because that's obviously full of pirated things. :D

Reactions: Seriel and pbanj

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Linking Gateway and the Plailect guide are not actual piracy, you can talk about these things on the site freely I guess, because they don't neccessarily mean pirating(?) But for example, you can't link in THAT ISO SITE, because that's obviously full of pirated things. :D
But both contain copyrighted materials, which is where the confusion arises. I'm kinda curious what the official stance is too.

Reactions: Seriel

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of copyrighted materials? You mean the 2.1 update files for example?
There are those, as well as firmware files included in the Gateway launcher, and a download link to DevMenu.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never thought about that, but yeah as you said, probably linking to Plailect guide is against the rules as it contains at least some RARs with firmware 2.1.0, the slot?? bin files, and firmware.bin and firmkey.bin, etc.
I have been linking to it without even thinking about that, but I will put some thinking into it before doing it again.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
There are those, as well as firmware files included in the Gateway launcher, and a download link to DevMenu.
I see your point. I don't really think that the update files are much big of a deal, because you can download those from your 3ds also so I think there's no harm done with that. Well, I think it depends on the person.

It's a really complicated matter now that I think about it.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see your point. I don't really think that the update files are much big of a deal, because you can download those from your 3ds also so I think there's no harm done with that. Well, I think it depends on the person.

It's a really complicated matter now that I think about it.
Regardless of whether they're freely available, it's still copyrighted material. It's the same with Free to Play eShop downloads like Pokemon Shuffle.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Regardless of whether they're freely available, it's still copyrighted material. It's the same with Free to Play eShop downloads like Pokemon Shuffle.
Copyrighted, yes. But still, this isn't the great site of "We should do everything legally". :D Double standards, I guess.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never thought about that, but yeah as you said, probably linking to Plailect guide is against the rules as it contains at least some RARs with firmware 2.1.0, the slot?? bin files, and firmware.bin and firmkey.bin, etc.
I have been linking to it without even thinking about that, but I will put some thinking into it before doing it again.
The guide has a thread here that links to it. If it was an issue the thread would have been removed. Just like aureinand has the link to the firm files on the github that is linked in the main post, cakes has the same thing(it links to the files directly from Nintendo)

Reactions: gaga941021

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr