Need some clarification on a few things, help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by denieru7, Oct 6, 2009.

1. denieru7
    OP

Member denieru7 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi guys!

Well, I've always been a DS person here on GBAtemp but i decided to give softmodding my Wii a go! (My wii was bought in about July 07)

I followed the steps EXACTLY as they are here: SOFTMOD ANY WII!, except that I updated to 4.1 using the guide recommended on that thread (http://webrewwii.blogspot.com/2009/04/syst...stallation.html) after installing BootMii and HBC and DVDx. Straight after this i did a NAND backup.

I did every single step on that thread, didn't miss one. I was able to install BootMii as boot2. After everything, all was successful and Neogamma R7 loaded a backup. Awesome!

I then realised that my wii was booting slower thanks to preloader which i didn't need anyway because i had BootMii as boot2 installed. So i used my NAND backup to restore my NAND and did the steps "Patching IOS 36", "Installing Preloader and new cIOS" and "Backup Laucher" again, except this time i skipped the steps for preloader.

Now, in the section "Patching IOS36", i followed the video tutorial exactly for TBR, just like I did the first time I installed everything.
    # Use IOS 36 to downgrade 15.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    First, the error you got was likely a code dump. If you want, try the step again. More than likely, it will work this time. If it doesn't no worries.

For #2, this is normal. Rebooter only shows the banner, it won't load the game. To load backups from disc channel, you need cIOSCORP. I don't recommend it, since it breaks some homebrew, and can brick your wii.

For #3, there is a Wii DVD dumper tool around here. Search for it. You run it on the wii, and connect to the wii in your web browser. Then you "download" the ISO to the computer. After that, just burn it to a DVD using ImgBurn.

3. denieru7
    OP

Australia
    Woah, thanks a lot! So rebooter just looks pretty huh. Oh well T_T Thanks for the reply! And I'll give the Wii DVD dumper tool a go. If its 4.7 GBs does it take a long time to download? =(

EDIT: I read somewhere that "rebooter is a feature Gecko OS 1.07+ contain. If you press B in the Gecko OS menu instead of A for selecting a menu point, Gecko OS will reboot your Wii and will bring you back to your Wii menu. While this looks strange.. quite a few games do not work in Gecko OS natively (Red Steel for example) but using the Rebooter trick they do.. it also goes that far that normally in Brawl you can't cheat the VC demos - if you started Brawl using the Rebooter it works."

So when you say "For #2, this is normal. Rebooter only shows the banner, it won't load the game. To load backups from disc channel, you need cIOSCORP." Are you talking about Neogamma's rebooter? Or rebooters in general.

Thanks again!

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Forgot about this one earlier.

NAND refers to the internal memory. The IOSes are stored on it, along with the system menu, all your channels, saves, and anything else you save to your wii. If you restore the backup with bootmii, the IOSes revert to the versions in the backup.

5. denieru7
    OP

Australia
  6. The Beast

Newcomer The Beast Member

United Kingdom
    That's the tool you need however its very slow using wifi, often failed with me and took hours. It's much better to use a usb stick and a tool called superdump v1.3 it takes on average 18 mins, 8gb is best and you will end up with two parts that you have to join together.

Backup discs can be copied to computer hdd with imgburn as an iso then burned with the same prog.

If you want an easy life I recommend an hdd and a usb loader such as wiiflow which allows you to simply install and play your games from the hdd.

7. denieru7
    OP

Australia
    Thanks! I'll look into wiiflow.

I only have 4GB USBs. Will these work?

EDIT: I just tried TBR to restore 15 using 36 and it came up with the error again! It says:

Exception (DSI) occurred!
    All this white text

Stack dump:
    White text

Code dump:
    White text

What am I doing wrong? Should i just use my NAND backup and start over?

8. The Beast

United Kingdom
    I only had a 4gb and it works fine. You just have to remove it when it finishes dumping the first part, copy to computer then delete and dump the second part.

9. The Beast

United Kingdom
    Did you already install cIOS36 rev10 or higher as part of the guide you used? If you did then there is no need to do that step.

10. denieru7
    OP

Australia
    I installed cIOS38 rev14 afterwards. Is that higher than cIOS36 rev 10? I don't know if the "higher" only includes the rev number, eg cIOS36 rev10,11, 12 etc, or the whole thing.

11. The Beast

United Kingdom
    cIOS38 rev14 is the latest one and replaced cIOS36 and if you installed it without errors it means that you already have Trucha bug.

12. denieru7
    OP

Australia
    I know that i have the trucha bug, its just that - I never restored IOS15. Is this a problem?

13. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    just install
    IOS15-64-v266.wad
    to restore IOS15.
    i dot think its a problem though.

14. denieru7
    OP

Australia
    Oh! Thanks! I'll give it a go =]

EDIT: I'm using NUS Downloader 1.3 beta to download IOS15-64-v266.wad but its taking ages cause I'm capped.... I think that might be the reason I got the error in the first place, because my net was capped and nothing was downloading maybe TBR just thought, wth, something's not right!

EDIT 2: I got it! Thanks, it took me nearly 3 hours to download from the NUS but i finally got it and it worked perfectly in TBR. Thanks for all the help guys!