Gaming Need some advice with IVs in Pokemon Emerald.

Radiobread

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys - I've seen loads of online videos, guides and explanations of IVs, so I have a pretty good understanding of what they actually are, but I just need some practical advice regarding getting the right IVs for my Pokemon that I'm training for the Battle Frontier.

For example, I plan to get a Blissey with the following stats:

Moves: Toxic, Counter, Softboiled, Aromatherapy
Nature: Bold (Def+, Atk-) or Jolly (Spd+, Sp.A-)
EVs: Defence (252), Speed (252), Sp.Def (6)

I'm just wondering - since I know IVs are unalterable after a Pokemon hatches from an egg, does this mean the way the IVs are determined will be completely random or will they be influenced to some degree by the parent Pokemon? (I know I can keep breeding and maintain the nature by equipping an Everstone to the mother). Can you please also give advice on what I should do to get a strong IV combo on this Blissey? Is it even important that I bother - will it make the difference between gold Frontier symbols, or is EV training and a good nature enough?

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

fbueller

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you google "Pokemon Emerald Breeding Guide" there's a very concise and thorough guide hosted on Smogon that will answer you questions.

This snippet in particular is the answer to you question on how IVS are determined for eggs -
"The IVs for the baby are first created at random. Then, a random IV from either parent is inherited to the baby. Then, any random IV except an HP IV is selected from either parent and is passed to the baby. Finally, any random IV except an HP or Defense IV is selected from either parent and passed to the baby. These three random IVs may overlap, that is, the same random IV can be chosen to be inherited in the second, or third, IV transfer."

As for strong IVs for Blissey, it benefits from having the high defense, special defense,and HP stats. I'd recommend Bold over Jolly, as speed isn't going to help it as much as surviving.

EV Training and good nature are a great start for Battle Frontier - you might still have some trouble. The Battle Frontier takes a while and still has some luck/hax in it. Definitely try to get good IVs, but nature comes before IVs in priority.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/BkUi1uEdCmk