Hardware Need some advice about soldering the CLK point for a hardmod

Nawor3565

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I need some advice about how to solder the very tiny clock point on an old 3DS non-XL. I'm an okay solderer, and I was able to get the other 3 points easy, but the CLK point on the underside of the motherboard is literally the size of the head of a pin. I kept trying to get it to stick, but it keeps coming off super easy, and I'm worried that I've soldered to it too much at this point. This is what it looks like right now, although it's kinda hard to see because it's just so small. IMG_5204.JPGI would try to solder the CLK point under the cartridge slot, but the solder holding it down just doesn't want to get hot. After re tinning my iron and trying over and over, I got a bit of the solder off of one connector. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it works fine otherwise.

Is there some sort of trick I can use to solder this really small point, or get to the one on the other side? Thanks in advance! :)

quantumboy

Casual Hacker, Avid Dreamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too am stuck on this as well. I have been practicing on some old junk boards that have the same size vias and I have about a 66% success rate, but not confident enough to do it on a real o3ds.

How I did it(however not perfect):
I scraped the small ring around the via with a very sharp knife or tip or a flat head screwdriver to remove and plastic etc. Then I tinned the tip of my iron at the very tip and gently held it to the point for a second or two, when a small amount of solder stuck, I then hold the tinned small wire and held it place and applied the tip of the iron to the wire resting on the via, wait a second or two and hope it stuck, do not pull it hard, as they don't stick well, if its even a little on there tape it down like super quick.

Hope it helps, and I could use some advice on how to do this better as well

mchew

Advanced Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how many solder pads are on the other side? if there's 6 instead of 5 the last pad on the bottom is CLK
20160925_001137.jpg

quantumboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how many solder pads are on the other side? if there's 6 instead of 5 the last pad on the bottom is CLK
View attachment 69983
I actually don't know yet. I have a bout 3 friends with o3ds that want a mod, and with dsi pulled, hardmod seemed the only way and I usually don't have issue with it, but that clk via is a B****, and I can't de-solder a cart(at least not easily). (been practicing on my o3dsxl).

Are there any way to tell if a 3ds original is gonna have 6 pads? And on the 5 pads version is there another alt point anywhere else on the board that is not a via.

mchew

Advanced Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, i came across this 3ds one time with an extra pad so I got curious and started probing around with my multimeter and turns out its CLK.

konsolenumbau.expert

Trophies
Website
konsolenumbau.expert
XP
Country
Germany
Don't want it to sound rude mate but the thing here is practice. And the right equipment. You use flux ? How "thin" is your solder tip?

You won't get much solder on this tiny spot it's more likely the little hole in the middle were the solder will stick. You need a wire thin enough and just a blob of solder on the tip of it. Then hold the cable on spot and heat it for a second. It will be enough if it is connected but it is still not made for been moved! That's why the tut says use tape to fix the cable. Can say from here how this spot looks now. Needs to be cleaned and a nearer pic. But. Get an old defective one and try it a bit. You will get there. It's just experience in soldering Melt on

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

quantumboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm practicing like crazy, and I have a very thin solder tip and use rosin flux core solder. I think my plan b is to actually use the point under the cart slot. It will take some time to desolder the card ground pads, but worth it. hopefully I will be lucky enough to get the 6 pad one and never need to flip the board

Eruandou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
One little trick that's worked for me on old 3ds' is scrape the surface of the CLK REALLY SMOOTHLY to get a rounder and smoother surface where my soldering can get a hold of

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."