Need serious help.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by JesterDev, Mar 23, 2007.

Mar 23, 2007

Need serious help. by JesterDev at 3:39 PM (1,008 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. JesterDev
    OP

Member JesterDev GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Gave my wiikey and wii to a friend to mod for me and he totally screwed it. As you can see from the pictures below 3, and 5 are burned away and so is 1 which I fixed by using what I believe is an alternate ground. While my soldering skills are OK I am not good enough to fix this mess. I Had him do it because I was worried about soldering such small area's.

[​IMG]

If anyone is willing, I will even pay you to fix this for me. I tried but I'm afraid I will just make it worse. Can anyone recommend someone who might be willing?

I'm also open to suggestions at this point.

I'm in Pueblo, Colorado US and will be heading towards Springs this Sat and coming back Sun, Mon. I can also ship it out if your not in Co.

2. kai445

Member kai445 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Follow the traces back and solder to the chip. All you need is a steady hand, really.

Tin the wire, place wire over chip leg, tap iron to wire for a second or so, release. Check for bridges. Repeat for second leg.

3. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    I've sent jesterdev a pm and offered up my services to fix it, however this is really a good image to show that if you don't know what you're doing, have someone who's *qualified*, do your soldering.

I continue to be very amused that people seem to think that they can rip open their wii systems and hack around in there with a crappy $10 soldering iron with the tip the size of montana. [​IMG]

4. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
  5. Soybomb

Newcomer Soybomb Advanced Member

You know I was going to say that I don't its that they're retarded or even necessarily have bad tools, and then I think a huge part of it is people holding an iron to the board for too long looking for that perfect joint and lifting pads.

Then i saw this
    [​IMG]

And now I'll not say anything, you're right people are dumb [​IMG]

6. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    that looks like the work of those butane soldering iron without the tip (mini torch) either that or someone threw a molotov cocktail hoping it would solder the 5-6 points

[​IMG]

*Edit*

then again it also looks like napalm looks kinda sticky

7. instigator

Newcomer instigator Advanced Member

Canada
    What amuses me is the amount of pictures I've seen displaying burned/melted ribbon cables/ZIF connectors.

I imagine that their homes are in real danger of being burned down when I see those pics.

So not only do people try to solder using the Molotov Cocktail method they attempt it while in a drunken stupor after a night at the bars!

I would suggest that this "Toaster Oven" soldering method might be a safer bet than a drunk wielding a soldering iron (not):

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/200006/oven_art.htm

8. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    LOL! Not only did they screw the PCB points and bridge pins on the DMS chip, they ALSO ended up melting (cosmetic only) the DVD ribbon cable connector [​IMG]

But they take a pretty decent photograph at least! Just imagine some of the solder screw-ups which people have NOT posted due to embarrassment!

I can do repairs for a decent price if you're in the Triad area of NC... or want to ship. I do NIC repairs, trace repairs, and RAM upgrades on Xbox motherboards, so you know I'm qualified [​IMG]

[Edit] Just noticed that instigator mentioned the ZIF connector issue as well [​IMG]

9. modmanwii

Member modmanwii GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have a $10 iron with a tip the size of montana

ive used it on many xbox1 and a few wiikeys now

it does the trick for me w quicksolder

just gotta be careful [​IMG]

10. pipesfranco

Member pipesfranco GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That has got to take the award for worst solder job ever......I reckon they used a zippo lighter and some baking foil!