Hardware Need opinions on what to do with PC

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My current desktop has an i5-2500k and a really bad Gigabyte motherboard. The motherboard does have overclocking settings and features, but always ends up being really unstable with them. (If something causes the PC to shut down unexpectedly, the BIOS instantly resets to factory default settings) This forces me to leave my processor at stock speeds.

Should I purchase a new processor and motherboard when the new Intel Skylake processors are available for purchase, or should I just purchase a new motherboard for my current i5 and not worry about the new line of Intel processors?

The motherboard also refuses to run RAM in dual-channel now so I've been using single-channel RAM for about 5 months. This could be another possible reason for upgrading, but I'm not entirely sure.

Let me know what you recommend!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Depends on your budget. Currently you'll do well with Broadwell easily for the next years. While Skylake will bring improvements as new generations always will, it'll take time for anything (especially games) to take advantage of the features. Some features may make your upgrade even more expensive (current memory, etc is very high end for cheap, compared to the future DDR4 RAM, etc). If you figure you don't need the extra oomph now, buy a new mobo and wait for a complete refresh of your computer.

PC tech goes forward fast and you may miss a critical feature even in just one generation (or Tick/Tock for Intel slang). Just look at nVidia's streaming: you require a specific model or newer, since the feature is based on extra hardware on the GPU. Can't really replace something like that in any other way.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sandy tends to overclock really nice and really easy. A friend of mine has it paired with a 970 on 4.2 ghz and it doesn't bottleneck the card at all! My advice would be to buy a new mobo and a cooler for the next year or so until the prices drop.

Reactions: Margen67

Kaynabx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would recommend changing your MB and getting a good ventirad, the stock one is so sh*tty !
MSI and ASUS are the best in the MB business, there are MB's for every kind of budget :)

bowlofspiders

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on your budget. Currently you'll do well with Broadwell easily for the next years. While Skylake will bring improvements as new generations always will, it'll take time for anything (especially games) to take advantage of the features. Some features may make your upgrade even more expensive (current memory, etc is very high end for cheap, compared to the future DDR4 RAM, etc). If you figure you don't need the extra oomph now, buy a new mobo and wait for a complete refresh of your computer.

PC tech goes forward fast and you may miss a critical feature even in just one generation (or Tick/Tock for Intel slang). Just look at nVidia's streaming: you require a specific model or newer, since the feature is based on extra hardware on the GPU. Can't really replace something like that in any other way.

My budget is around $500 for upgrades. My current GPU is a R9 270x that doesn't need upgrading at the moment so the whole budget can be put towards the CPU/motherboard/cooler/fans.

Sandy tends to overclock really nice and really easy. A friend of mine has it paired with a 970 on 4.2 ghz and it doesn't bottleneck the card at all! My advice would be to buy a new mobo and a cooler for the next year or so until the prices drop.

My current cooler is a Corsair H60. Thanks for the advice though. Definitely considering just getting a different motherboard!

I would recommend changing your MB and getting a good ventirad, the stock one is so sh*tty !
MSI and ASUS are the best in the MB business, there are MB's for every kind of budget :)

Will definitely consider ASUS as I've liked their company for a while. I don't have much experience with MSI boards though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games