Need M3 Slot-2 Perfect Users...

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by TeenDev, Nov 25, 2007.

Nov 25, 2007
  1. TeenDev
    OP

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    I've made a new library for booting *.nds and I need someone to test it on their M3 Slot-2 Perfect to make sure the internal loader is working correctly.

You can PM me or reply to this topic with the results.

Instructions:

1: Rename a .nds file on the root of your card to bootme.nds

2: Download this: http://teendev.dragonminded.com/files/libnds.nds

3: DLDI it for your flashcart and put it on your cart.

4: Run it, if it boots bootme.nds please contact me and tell me so!

2. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    [​IMG] (looks at avatar, looks at link, thinks "wth is that supposed to be then, a pink elephant?")

Your libnds.nds isn't built well enough to NOT crash the M3's OS. AFAIK you need a proper icon, gamecode and such in there. If it doesn't look pretty in this tool, it's a good bet it will have a bad effect on M3 perfect nds file browser.

I extracted the arm binaries and rebuilt it with a proper gamecode and icon, so it doesn't crash the OS. I have 2 separate m3sd dldi files, one is "normal" the other "alt" (I forget why I have two, so I tried them both). The normal one, just does nothing when I press A. The other turns off the backlight of the screen that has the "press A" text on it, and does nothing (top screen for me is lit and green).

Hope that helps, you didn't make it all that easy to test this for you and I am not sure if you had data external to the separate bins that would be needed (though I presume not).

Details: nds, ndslite, m3SD (slim ver, eng fw 35), m3SD (fat version, chn fw 35)

edit:/ btw, I also sent it (in original form) via wifime to my old style DS, the screens went black and no text ever appeared onscreen. Exact same result with my rebuilt ones.

3. TeenDev
    OP

United States

you did have a "bootme.nds" file in the root, and waited for a few seconds for it to copy the .nds into RAM right?

4. cory1492

Canada
    Of course, I spent all that time tracking down the bits to rebuild it so it wouldn't crash the OS, writing up the results, and verifying the file name in the ROM with a hex editor when it didn't work, that I completely forgot to follow your directions or even give it 5 or so minutes to do whatever it may or may not decide to do [​IMG] [/sarcasm]

The only thing I didn't know and didn't really check on was whether you built the final posted ROM in some special fashion that would have broken when I rebuilt it. I even went so far as to try on both FAT and FAT32 formatted cards (128M A-Data SD and 512M Sandisk)

5. TeenDev
    OP

United States
  6. cory1492

Canada
    I was going to try, but unfortunately I didn't feel like it... I'll probably feel like it later...
    [​IMG]

Using a hello world style app as bootme.nds, it booted it but the console display was screwed (everything was colored green when it should have been black with white text). You aren't resetting something you should be, apparently, though I doubt that's all that critical at this stage.

BTW: only one of my dldi drivers worked, started with the text on the top screen; the other did nothing, and had started with the text on the bottom screen. Still not clear on what the difference is between the two, in all honesty this is the second time (or reason, I guess) in the last 10 months I have even had the perfects out of the drawer (and the thanks I get is apparently a lazy dev, looking for donations (in this case more of my time than should be necissary, consider below code) and ridiculous permission appliances to use the final result. I don't want to tell you what my project is to obtain permission to use your lib, but thanks anyway as I have my own offshoot which works pretty darned good on it's own.)

Code:
    ndstool -c $(TARGET).nds -7 $(TARGET).arm7 -9 $(TARGET).arm9 -g "TEST" "01" "TEST" -b logo_teendev.bmp "TEST;TEST;TEST"
    http://nds.cmamod.com/logo_teendev.bmp

Change the line in the makefile, put "logo_teendev.bmp" in the dir with the make file. That simple. I have the templates already done up with a generic logo so it never is an issue.

7. TeenDev
    OP

United States
    good it works now, BTW, I set the background to green on purpose... and I have updated the makefile.

EDIT:Haha... very funny image.... [​IMG]