Need input on stolen ipad?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Centrix, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Centrix
    OP

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    So I work at the radioshack and about a year ago a customer left a caring case with an ipad and kindle in it, my boss was supposed to give the ipad and kindel to the cops over a year ago and hasn't, it now sits in are cage with are contract phones im thinking about taking it seeing as how I honestly can't see them firing me over do such as its not even ares and no ones come to claim so my question is what do u guys think about me doing that? Do u think I could get fired or in trouble for it and if so how and why?

2. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    I think you should leave it alone if you value your job.

3. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Leave it be.

4. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Turn the damn thing on and find out who it belongs to, then ship it to them!
    Give someone in their contacts a FaceTime call.
    It's Christmas, so merry "heres your iPad back"

Who knows, maybe they bought a new one and will let you keep it for your good deed.

5. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    It's not yours, so don't steal it.

6. crea
    This message by crea has been removed from public view by Veho, Dec 17, 2014, Reason: Uncalled for.
    Dec 17, 2014
  7. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    If it's been a year and they never backtracked to find it then they likely were able to afford a new one with no hassle. Don't steal from people's pockets but repurposing what's left behind is totally fine. Plus if you turn it in who knows how long it will sit unclaimed then someone else will take it as theirs. If you're sure you won't lose your job, let those fingers slip.

8. Centrix
    OP

Centrix Stop Poking the Moogle!

Aug 28, 2008
    United States
    Seattle,WA
    I did ive asked him countless times to give it over to the police. The other issue is thankfully it was password protected

9. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    two wrongs don't make a right, don't steal it just to give it back to the police.

10. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    id turn it in, someone did that for me once...my wife left the tab3 on the car and drove off. it survived and someone found it. i google hangout called it and the dude answered and was like, come over and get it.

it was furious anger like ive never felt when my wife told me its gone and then the greatest feeling of relief and gratitude when i got it back.

if you find the person who lost these devices, they will truly be grateful. unless they are rich pricks.

master801 and raulpica like this.
  11. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    There is a saying, don't stick your nose where it does not belong.

Leave it alone.

12. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    I remember a time when I used to work in a phone store that repairs off-warranty phones 2 years ago.

There was an iPhone 4 that was fixed but never claimed since January 2011 and calling the owners lead to someone else. Apparently the original owner changed his/her number. Since the iPhone was wiped and it was just sitting there. I took it.

The store has a policy of "If you don't claim your phone in 6 months it becomes store property".

So basically, it all comes down to your own morals. 2 years ago I didn't have much. Not even enough to even ask my boss about it since it became store property and I "technically" stole from the store. (Thing was in the fixed phones box which is opened to remind and call customers about their fixed phones nearly all the time).

I'm actually surprised that my boss never asked about it but then again, I'm pretty sure she'd suspect another worker there instead of me.

In your case, if your boss isn't going to do anything about it, think about it this way, if you hand it over to the police, what could they do better than you? assuming they can/will do anything at all.

It's a misplaced/stolen ipad. EASILY a cold case.

If you don't mind troubling yourself, sneak it out and try contacting/finding the owners yourself. if your boss asks you about it, just say you tried to contact the owners yourself. If not, do what you wanna do.

13. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Interesting fact: There's an app that you install that lets you track your Iphones/Ipads/Ipod touches/MACs

If someone steals it then the owner can track it down if it's turned on.

Don't steal. It's bad. Maybe your boss is trying to test trust with the employees?

14. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    you seriously can't see why they would fire you over that? it is just pure theft if you do that:P

also, just leave it as it is, it is not your business and if you get fired over it, youre gonna have a bad time finding a new job with this on you resume.

15. weatMod
    This message by weatMod has been removed from public view by Veho, Dec 17, 2014.
    Dec 17, 2014
  16. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Taking it without telling your boss, is also stealing, even if it isn't the stores property!
    Try to find the owner and if that's not gonna work out, let it be, taking something that doesn't belong to you, even if it's after a year, is still stealing.
    and yes your boss can fire you for that, you are stealing not from him but from one of his customers, that's enough for getting fired!

Arithmatics likes this.
  17. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    If you take it, you are giving in to the dark side and you are going to turn into a sith with a cross guard blade and everyone is going to make fun of you.

Don't be a sith with a cross guard blade.

loco365 and Veho like this.
  18. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    So he knows about the iPad and he specifically told you not to touch it. Leave it well enough alone. You would be taking stuff from the store without permission, and you would be working against your supervisor's express instructions, both grounds enough to fire you.

raulpica likes this.
  19. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia

I personally like it.

20. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    If stealing made you a sigh then I'd steal it!

Anyway I'd just call the police independently and report the situation....

21. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Turn on and see if you can find any info to give it back to its original owner and call it a day. Maybe he'll even tip ya.

22. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    the police is not gonna find the owner, they'll just keep it as swag. i would much rather try and return it myself than give it to the cops. after giving it the old college try, then i'd keep it.

Arithmatics likes this.