Need help with wireless transfer and putting DS games on my 3DS

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
long story short, i am planning to put my favorite DS games on my 3DS via homebrew. The 2 main problems is:

1. I really have a bad past experience with installing TwilightMenu on my DSi a few months back (resulting in the R4 being obsolete, totally my fault not anyone else's) and i would really like if you guys helped me step-by-step on the do's and dont's of installing TwilightMenu on my 3DS for playing DS games. I really don't want a repeat of the R4 bricking that happened. Good thing the homebrew my 3DS runs on is through SD card

2. When the home computer upgraded to Windows 10, the wireless transfer for the 3DS seemingly isn't working properly like last time. Before (when the computer was still running on Windows 7), the wireless transfer was working fine and i even prefer it compared to the normal means through USB. But when we upgraded, i can't transfer large files anymore to my 3DS and sometimes it doesn't even connect in the first place. I don't know if it's a windows problem or a me problem

A bit of context: The 3DS we bought was pre-modded with Luma3DS and it had the freeshop and the FBI tool for installing CIAs. I have experience on installing 3DS .cia's but have no idea how to do it for DS games. If you guys need the version the homebrew is running on, feel free to ask. And thank you in advance to anyone who helps

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you have the option DON'T buy it pre-modded but do it yourself instead (official guide). Not only it's a valuable learning experience but with a pre-modded you don't know exactly what was done to it and since you mention "freeshop" it seems a pretty old installation given that's not a thing anymore which means it might also have been modded using legacy hacks and might need to be "transitioned" to a current setup.

Anyway that said, the first thing I'd do is to install Universal Updater and from there you can install pretty much everything you need.
With it you can also update Luma (do so BEFORE updating the system) and everything else.

To play your nds games I suggest you use a forwarder and more specifically take a look at YANBF which enables you to "install" the nds games as shortcuts and play them directly from the home menu like any other.
This also makes it super easy to create a custom banner/sound for such shortcuts (also you can make requests/contribute yourself here)

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
If you have the option DON'T buy it pre-modded but do it yourself instead (official guide). Not only it's a valuable learning experience but with a pre-modded you don't know exactly what was done to it and since you mention "freeshop" it seems a pretty old installation given that's not a thing anymore which means it might also have been modded using legacy hacks and might need to be "transitioned" to a current setup.

Anyway that said, the first thing I'd do is to install Universal Updater and from there you can install pretty much everything you need.
With it you can also update Luma (do so BEFORE updating the system) and everything else.

To play your nds games I suggest you use a forwarder and more specifically take a look at YANBF which enables you to "install" the nds games as shortcuts and play them directly from the home menu like any other.
This also makes it super easy to create a custom banner/sound for such shortcuts (also you can make requests/contribute yourself here)
For the universal updater, do i just do it as is? Also the part where you say "Do so before updating the system" do you mean the 3DS itself?

for the forwarder, do i still need to install TwilightMenu or not to run the games?

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For the universal updater, do i just do it as is?
You should be able to install Universal Updater first thing, it's just so everything else after that gets easier with it instead of installing/updating other stuff manually.

Also the part where you say "Do so before updating the system" do you mean the 3DS itself?
Yes Luma before doing a system update of the 3DS itself, this is because if you do the opposite an old Luma version will not work on a newer system and you'd need to update it manually (replacing the correct files on the microsd)

for the forwarder, do i still need to install TwilightMenu or not to run the games?
No, you just need nds-bootstrap and a couple other pieces of software that are available on Universal Updater

Also forgot to add this before: to transfer files to and from the console you can use ftp (again you find it on Universal Updater) so you can limit the number of times you have to move the microsd itself

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
You should be able to install Universal Updater first thing, it's just so everything else after that gets easier with it instead of installing/updating other stuff manually.

Yes Luma before doing a system update of the 3DS itself, this is because if you do the opposite an old Luma version will not work on a newer system and you'd need to update it manually (replacing the correct files on the microsd)

No, you just need nds-bootstrap and a couple other pieces of software that are available on Universal Updater

Also forgot to add this before: to transfer files to and from the console you can use ftp (again you find it on Universal Updater) so you can limit the number of times you have to move the microsd itself
Thanks for answering the questions dude, will try it now

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Good luck.

Also forgot to add that Luma Updater doesn't work anymore so to update Luma you need Universal Updater or you'd have to do it manually
just a quick question, do i update the 3DS itself through the settings? or the universal updater?

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Good luck.

Also forgot to add that Luma Updater doesn't work anymore so to update Luma you need Universal Updater or you'd have to do it manually
I have Universal Updater up now on my 3DS and i have Luma selected, do i just download boot.firm?

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
After the software is installed on the microsd the temporary downloaded stuff is cleaned up, don't really need to worry about that.

Anyway, I don't want to sound rude, but I can't hold your hand for every little step I hope you understand

cxclarke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
After the software is installed on the microsd the temporary downloaded stuff is cleaned up, don't really need to worry about that.

Anyway, I don't want to sound rude, but I can't hold your hand for every little step I hope you understand
It's okay dude, i understand. I think i can manage on my own after this part

thanks for all the help, i appreciate it

Reactions: Yrouel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.