Need help with vWii gc adapter for project M

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by ada010, Mar 7, 2018.

1. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    No worries! Take your time @wilm0x42. If the improved IOS compatibility results in cIOS support, PM launcher compatibility wouldn't be critical since custom ISOs could be built.

2. wilm0x42

wilm0x42 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    Well, one of the biggest motives I've had in this project is making PM more accessible, which means the least knowledgeable user (No homebrew channel installed, launching the PM launcher straight from smash stack) is still a big concern to me. I don't want to forget about them any more than about you guys. I'll definitely put out a v0.2 as soon as USB loaders work, though!

(Of course the other motive was me being able to play PM on a non-gc-compatible wii. :P :P)

frogboy and JacobM like this.
  3. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    I keep forgetting the smash stack route is still used. I'm more of a lazy gamer. If I can avoid getting up to change discs, I will :P

Good luck with everything! After this week I am available to test things out if needed.

I don't think Smash Stack switches the IOS

Last edited by JacobM, May 14, 2018
  4. wilm0x42

wilm0x42 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    Not Smash Stack, the Project M Launcher.
    Supposedly, the PM launcher enables the use of SDHC cards with Brawl (Specifically when using the file patch code that most Brawl hacks use.)
    That, paired with some suspicious behaviour of IOS_Open() when launched this way, is what leads me to believe this is the case.
    It wouldn't explain everything, but it would make sense.

Also-- thanks, testing is much appreciated!

JacobM likes this.
  5. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    I believe IOS 36 supports SDHC natively, it is Brawl's programming which disables SDHC (for whatever reason). I think mods like PM just remove that check/disable function built into Brawl natively. To my knowledge, no IOS switch is ever done from the point you boot Brawl to the point PM boots, but that IOS_Open is suspicious. I'll see if I can come up with a way to poll the active IOS.

I haven't tinkered with Dolphin much, but shouldn't it be possible to see if any IOS file is read by the OS in the few seconds between Smash Stack and the launcher loading?

EDIT: eh, maybe I'm wrong... aparently SDHC didn't make it to the system menu until IOS 60 / System Menu 4.0

Not sure if this is relevant... https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/10663#note-2

Last edited by JacobM, May 14, 2018
  6. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    I had a group of friends over last night and we tested both @wilm0x42 (SSBB) and @Chadderz (MKW) GameCube adapter implementations for about 3 hours each with all 4 controllers being used. Amazingly, we never encountered any glitch/crash/lag spike during the entire session! Thank you both for cooking up these awesome enhancements! What a blast from the past!

wilm0x42 likes this.
  7. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    Heads up...! Earlier today @Chadderz & MrBean3500vr officially released their GameCube (GCN) controller adapter support for CTGP-R (http://www.chadsoft.co.uk/download/updates.html). We saw a glimpse of this project a few months back when Chadderz kindly open sourced the progress (https://github.com/Chadderz121/wup-028-bslug). This challenge has taken MrBean and Chadderz over a year of hard word to perfect for the community. Thank you both very much!

Still crossing my fingers for WiiWare support one day!
    @monkeyman4412 , @Lyrin , @cruplezone , @Peninsula (tags for CTGP discussion on page 4)

vinest, Masana and Peninsula like this.
  8. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Darn, I can't come up with something edgy
    Alright! Now we just need some way to... well, have project M working with it. (and riders zg) But honestly, we are lucky at all for this as the wiiu is, well... dead, extremely dead right now tbh.

9. Peninsula

Peninsula GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Cool! I remember MrBean teasing this feature a looooong time ago. Glad to see they've finally made it a part of CTGP.
    I too am really hoping for WiiWare support. Bomerman Blast is the only reason I still have my Wii hooked up to the TV, and it would be nice to have the Wii U do it all.

wilm0x42's version (the one in the beginning of the thread) does work with Project M. You just need the brawl disc and an SD card <=2Gb.

Masana likes this.
  10. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Been looking through this thread and trying to figure all this out - is directly patching an Brawl ISO / a Brawl Wii VC injection with this gamecube controller patch possible, or will it always require disk + launcher?

11. dcx6723

dcx6723 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 24, 2016
    France
    Did some test for the latest brainslug module :
    - Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo PAL (work)
    - Super Smash Bros Brawl PAL (not working)

12. Pootissqaured

Pootissqaured Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    long time lurker here, its very cool what you guys accomplished! Hopefully we can get this to work on brawl and other wii games

13. d4mation

d4mation GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    United States
    I may be misunderstanding this (and lots of points in this thread), but if this much works it should be possible to patch an ISO to include the GCT directly and have it work as-is, right? It seems a lot of people are using USB Loaders to load an external GCT file and that that is where issues are stemming from.

Am I correct in that a straight-up patch of a Brawl ISO using a tool like https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder/releases built on-top of Project M would work? I want to build a Wii VC release and since that runs in vWii, I think that means that this patch would work without any additional tweaks like it would for a USB Loader but I may be wrong.

14. JacobM

JacobM GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2017
    United States
    I've already tried that a long time ago, but I might have been the only one to attempt it. Maybe I did it wrong? I think last we left off we learned that the cIOS was the issue. I've been meaning to finish my testing to confirm it. My plan was to add a theoretically compatible cIOS available only for Wii (not vWii) and run a custom ISO to see if it picks up the adapter. I've partially been too lazy to tinker with it and it wouldn't really help in getting it working on the vWii unless a cIOS developer decides to come back which will realistically never happen. Our best bet is for @wilm0x42 to patch his script to work with the existing cIOSs.

d4mation likes this.