Hacking Need Help with updating a9lh with Fix94 Arm9select

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
arm9select is just a chain-loader, it mainly resides in the distributed arm9loaderhax.bin, while relying on FIX94's arm9loaderhax fork for the backlight value on boot.

You have to know the following:

• You cannot update FIX94's arm9loaderhax fork since it was never actually updated (last change was 4 months ago)
• You cannot update arm9select since last release was 4 months ago

If you don't want to update those but rather install what's called "A9LH v2" (i.e. Aurora Wright's updated fork), you just have to follow that part of the guide.

After installing that, you probably won't be able to use arm9select, but you can still chain-load stuff when using Luma3DS.

If you don't like the screen flashing, you can:

1- Install the no-screeninit version
2- Wait for a new release of Aurora Wright's fork, which will include both screeninit and no-screeninit (you can switch between the two by renaming the arm9loaderhax.bin file), and also offers the ability to boot without an SD card.
(If you don't want to wait for an official new release, you can find precompiled versions of that, here for instance.)

In any case, when installing A9LH v2, make sure that you are using the latest version of SafeA9LHInstaller (v2.0.3 at this time), and the right input files (data_input_v2.zip on Plailect's guide).

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
arm9select is just a chain-loader, it mainly resides in the distributed arm9loaderhax.bin, while relying on FIX94's arm9loaderhax fork for the backlight value on boot.

You have to know the following:

• You cannot update FIX94's arm9loaderhax fork since it was never actually updated (last change was 4 months ago)
• You cannot update arm9select since last release was 4 months ago

If you don't want to update those but rather install what's called "A9LH v2" (i.e. Aurora Wright's updated fork), you just have to follow that part of the guide.

After installing that, you probably won't be able to use arm9select, but you can still chain-load stuff when using Luma3DS.

If you don't like the screen flashing, you can:

1- Install the no-screeninit version
2- Wait for a new release of Aurora Wright's fork, which will include both screeninit and no-screeninit (you can switch between the two by renaming the arm9loaderhax.bin file), and also offers the ability to boot without an SD card.
(If you don't want to wait for an official new release, you can find precompiled versions of that, here for instance.)

In any case, when installing A9LH v2, make sure that you are using the latest version of SafeA9LHInstaller (v2.0.3 at this time), and the right input files (data_input_v2.zip on Plailect's guide).
Im hearing of bricks due to incompatible versions. but yes i want to update to a9lh v2. and since fix94 isnt mentioned i would basicly be overwriting it with a new a9lh fork i dont want to brick due to unsupported forks

Last edited by Raylight,

Kyojin

#include "brain.h"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Im hearing of bricks due to incompatible versions. but yes i want to update to a9lh v2. and since fix94 isnt mentioned i would basicly be overwriting it with a new a9lh fork i dont want to brick due to unsupported forks

Bricks because of mismatching versions are actually those of people whom used SafeA9LHInstaller v1 to install A9LH v2, or whom used old input files (for example, an old firm0).

In your case, it should be safe since AFAIK "updating" overwrites arm9loaderhax. Also, the A9LH fork you're using was not really heavily modified compared to the original implementation (it literally just sets the backlight value to 0 on boot, nothing more).

But don't quote me on this as if anything wrong happens I don't want to have a brick on my consciousness. ^_^ Maybe wait for other people to confirm, or just stay with your setup. Unless you are dying to have the "no SD boot" feature, there is really no need to update for now.

Last edited by Kyojin,
Reactions: Raylight

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Bricks because of mismatching versions are actually those of people whom used SafeA9LHInstaller v1 to install A9LH v2, or whom used old input files (for example, and firm0).

In your case, it should be safe since AFAIK "updating" overwrites arm9loaderhax. Also, the A9LH fork you're using was not really heavily modified compared to the original implementation (it literally just sets the backlight value to 0 on boot, nothing more).

But don't quote me on this as if anything wrong happens I don't want to have a brick on my consciousness. ^_^ Maybe wait for other people to confirm, or just stay with your setup. Unless you are dying to have the "no SD boot" feature, there is really no need to update for now.
Thanks i'll wait just to be sure

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"