Hacking Need help with updating a semi-bricked Wii (Opera error)

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
So years ago when the modding scene was obviously very different, I got the Homebrew Channel up and running. Along the way I've somehow apparently managed to switch the System Menu on my PAL Wii (white, GameCube ports) to US, because when I try to enter the System Settings I get the infamous Opera error.

That means that my Wii is no longer online as I can't set up a new wireless connection, I can't change the aspect ratio when switching between an HDTV and a CRT etc. Other than that, it works fine, but I'm also having weird issues with RetroArch and Nintendont won't run at all. I'm thinking the Wii needs to be updated to the latest version (I believe the current one on mine is 4.1, it has the SD card icon on the main menu).

I'm afraid of screwing something up even further but googling for solutions for the Opera error brought me to old tutorials that contain links that have long since stopped working. So, in 2017, what's my course of action in order to:

1) Return to the PAL System Settings and have access to the System Settings again
2) Update the Wii so that I can dabble with RetroArch, Nintendont and other cool homebrew

I see that SetMiiUp is a modern way to get homebrew up and running quickly, but with me being unable to access the System Settings, is that still the right move in my case? :)

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
I can return your wii back to PAL and fix the brick at the same time. Region changing has a small chance of bricking, but I think it is the safest way to unbrick your wii. Hopefully you have a NAND backup and BootMii as boot2(if can have it installed you can pretty much can not brick your wii). Your homebrew channel should be 1.0.7+, otherwise it will need to be updated. You will need to install a cIOS, use this: https://mega.nz/#F!1zInFLia!9tTdWbDaxIkmjBBY_vELng wad installer with this: https://mega.nz/#!BqZC1JyC!ylSRCebLTaB1DO_Itz9W8oJR8XxVekIO6V7cSwPwJLU in the sd root (make sure you wait a minute or two on the homebrew channel page before launching the installer or it will not work). It should say IOS236 installation is complete, if not, run it a few times until it works. Next download ModMii: https://sourceforge.net/projects/modmii/files/latest/download and choose the region change option, choose PAL and version 4.1 (do not choose to install a theme) . It comes with instructions as to what to do. After the region is change is finished, update your wii to 4.3. (don't turn on the priiloader disc update blocking hack until after you update). After this mod your wii again, the first selection in ModMii will do everything for you.

Last edited by Jasjar,

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I can return your wii back to PAL and fix the brick at the same time. Region changing has a small chance of bricking, but I think it is the safest way to unbrick your wii. Hopefully you have a NAND backup and BootMii as boot2(if can have it installed you can pretty much can not brick your wii).

I don't think I do, if I select BootMii from the Homebrew Channel, after pressing the Home button, the screen goes black and I have to shut the console down. Would you happen to have working links for setting this up? I definitely want to make sure my Wii is secure from bricking before trying this.

Your homebrew channel should be 1.0.7+, otherwise it will need to be updated.

I'm good here, after pressing the Home button on the Homebrew channel it shows:

IOS34 v12.19

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, your Wii is already bricked. Your HBC is also way out of date and it apparently can't find a recent appropriate IOS like 58. If you can get anything to run on it then you should use something to reinstall the latest system menu for your region and the newest HBC.

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Uh, your Wii is already bricked. Your HBC is also way out of date and it apparently can't find a recent appropriate IOS like 58. If you can get anything to run on it then you should use something to reinstall the latest system menu for your region and the newest HBC.

I think it's called a semi-brick because the only problem my Wii has is that I can't access the system settings. HBC loads and it runs USBLoader, Retroarch, Snes9x etc, it's just all out of date as it hasn't been updated in years. So I'm trying to figure out how to regain access to the system settings and then get everything up to date.

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
Try reinstalling bootmii. Copy these files into a folder in apps: https://mega.nz/#F!FmgiFLYC!8zFFUD43gg1tdo1uao3tyA and run the hackmii installer. Delete and reinstall BootMii. (Don't install a newer version of the hbc) If the same problem happens then forget about it, it's very helpful, but you shouldn't need it for my new fix. Please disregard my post before, that's if you want to properly do a region change. What I think has happened, is that you have run anyregionchanger and just changed the area setting resulting in a settings brick. Run the version of any region changer in this video: and instead of changing the region from PAL to USA, change it from USA to PAL. (don't forget the video setting). If when you start it the top bit says, area/Systemmenu mismatch and it goes away when you choose PAL, then your brick is fixed. Afterwards just update your wii to 4.3 and reinstall the hbc etc...

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Try reinstalling bootmii. Copy these files into a folder in apps: https://mega.nz/#F!FmgiFLYC!8zFFUD43gg1tdo1uao3tyA and run the hackmii installer. Delete and reinstall BootMii. (Don't install a newer version of the hbc) If the same problem happens then forget about it, it's very helpful, but you shouldn't need it for my new fix. Please disregard my post before, that's if you want to properly do a region change. What I think has happened, is that you have run anyregionchanger and just changed the area setting resulting in a settings brick. Run the version of any region changer in this video: and instead of changing the region from PAL to USA, change it from USA to PAL. (don't forget the video setting). If when you start it the top bit says, area/Systemmenu mismatch and it goes away when you choose PAL, then your brick is fixed. Afterwards just update your wii to 4.3 and reinstall the hbc etc...

That video is the first thing that shows up when you google the Opera error so I already installed AnyRegion Changer. However, it shows the mismatch warning if I select Europe as the Console Area Setting and the warning disappears if I set it to USA. Below that, it says "Installed Region: U", so I'm thinking that the US System Settings were indeed installed.

Could I just select USA and switch my PAL Wii to NTSC, instead of figuring out how to get back to PAL?

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think that selection USA will fix the settings brick, since you're really changing nothing. It looks like you properly region changed, and that bricked the settings and not a wrong region setting. Try it anyway, and if it you get lucky it will work. You can still fix it by properly region changing like in my first post. I guess you can region change back to NTSU; what you are on, but while your at it you may as well use PAL.

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I don't think that selection USA will fix the settings brick, since you're really changing nothing. It looks like you properly region changed, and that bricked the settings and not a wrong region setting. Try it anyway, and if it you get lucky it will work. You can still fix it by properly region changing like in my first post. I guess you can region change back to NTSU; what you are on, but while your at it you may as well use PAL.

I guess I want to try switching back to PAL then.

Just double checking the process before I actually start installing stuff:

1) I install HackMii from the link in your second post and use it to install BootMii as boot2. That secures my Wii from bricking.
2) I install the cIOS from your first post by using wad installer (I already have this on my Wii from before). What does this do?
3) I download ModMii and choose Region Change -> PAL -> 4.1. Where should I look to make sure that my Wii is currently on 4.1, since I obviously can't access the System Settings?
4) I update the Wii to 4.3. How should I do this?
5) Use the first option in ModMii to mod the Wii again.

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
1) Correct
2) I would say to install it over it, since the version may be newer. The region changer uses this cIOS in order to region change
3) I doesn't matter what your system menu is, it will work at any start system menu. 4.1 is the one it region changes to, it recommends to do this, so I would say to choose this.
4)Go into settings and click update wii system menu.
5)Correct

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
1) Correct
2) I would say to install it over it, since the version may be newer. The region changer uses this cIOS in order to region change
3) I doesn't matter what your system menu is, it will work at any start system menu. 4.1 is the one it region changes to, it recommends to do this, so I would say to choose this.
4)Go into settings and click update wii system menu.
5)Correct

Thank you.

I've tried to start the process with installing BootMii but trying to run the HackMii installer from HBC just gives me this message and it won't do anything:

"This software must not be sold, neither alone nor as part of a bundle. If you paid for this software or received it as part of a bundle following payment, you have been scammed and should demand your money back immediately."

Also, running Multi-Mod-Manager v13.2 shows my Wii System Information as:

System Menu v4.2 on IOS70
Console Region - Europe

So I guess it's actually 4.2...

Last edited by master_yoda,

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
The message should appear every time. Wait a few minutes and a (1) button should appear and, pressing that will allow you to continue. Well I guess it doesn't matter what you systemmenu region is, since it's going to be replaced.

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
The message should appear every time. Wait a few minutes and a (1) button should appear and, pressing that will allow you to continue. Well I guess it doesn't matter what you systemmenu region is, since it's going to be replaced.

I've waited but nothing's showing up unfortunately.

Any alternative ways to install BootMii you'd recommend?

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
There is no other way to install bootmii other than the hackmii installer. I guess you could do it without bootmii, but that isn't safe because there's no return. Is IOS 58 patched or something?

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
There is no other way to install bootmii other than the hackmii installer. I guess you could do it without bootmii, but that isn't safe because there's no return. Is IOS 58 patched or something?

What do you mean? Like I wrote above, it seems that my Wii currently has IOS70.

Jasjar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Australia
I think I figured out why the hackmii installer isn't working for you. Since your on system menu 4.2, you don't have IOS58. The hackmii installer likes to use IOS58, so use this to install it: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer and it should start to work. The only thing that can install bootmii is the hackmii installer(well if you had the source code you could write another installer, but that hasn't been released). You can in fact region change without bootmii, but it isn't safe.

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I think I figured out why the hackmii installer isn't working for you. Since your on system menu 4.2, you don't have IOS58. The hackmii installer likes to use IOS58, so use this to install it: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer and it should start to work. The only thing that can install bootmii is the hackmii installer(well if you had the source code you could write another installer, but that hasn't been released). You can in fact region change without bootmii, but it isn't safe.

But you need to be connected to the internet in order to install IOS58 with this and I can't do that without being able to access the System Settings. :(

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't post links to Nintendo WADs. They're not allowed here. It can be obtained easily with NUS Downloader.

master_yoda

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Last edited by porkiewpyne,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos