Need Help With Saves

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by science, Jul 8, 2008.

Jul 8, 2008

Need Help With Saves by science at 5:03 PM (1,432 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    So, my RPG was acting up a bit, and causing Rominator to crash, so I formatted it, but I took all the saves off first. I then copied all the ROMs back over, and then their saves. For some reason, this doesn't work though. Oddly enough, editing the saves name, and removing the .nds.sav and then immediately typing it back and then saving the name works, but this doesn't work all the time, and is a pain in the ass. Why doesn't copying the save files back on work? It's annoying!

2. ROM Troll

Member ROM Troll GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The first time I copied a backup save game back to a recently reformated SDcard (so there was no previous save game used with the game) the AKRPG copied the file with an abbreviated filename. Naturally the game did not find the backup save game as I believe the following filename format has to be met.

ROM: game backup.nds
    SAVE: game.backup.nds.sav

I then created a new save game from within the game and copied the backup save game over it. The AKRPG will ask if you want to overwrite the file. It worked.

Another time I deleted the recently created save game and then copied the backup save game to the same directory as the game backup. The filename was not abbreviated and it worked as well.

3. science
    OP

Canada
    Thats odd, because for me, the save files aren't abbreviated. But I think I did try starting the game, making a new save file, and copying over that, and that working, but I was hoping there would be an easier way

4. ROM Troll

United States
    The name abbreviation was probably a freak occurance. The other time, I deleted the newly created in game save and copied the backup game save over. It successfully kept the entire (ROM name).nds.sav.

When you have to copy a lot of saves, use the PC. Cheers

5. science
    OP

Canada
    But thats the thing, I am using a computer to copy the saves over (a Mac, though). I think I will just start a game, create a new save, and replace it with the old one. Hopefully it works

6. ravagekd

Newcomer ravagekd Member

United States
    does the AK2 have any issues with the resource files being copied to it? I have a friend who had to dust off his old PC to work with his R4 since he otherwise uses a mac at home, and the dot-underscore ("._" prefix) files were also being copied to the card which the R4 does NOT like. Could be a similar issue?

7. ROM Troll

United States
    It wasn't clear you were using a computer to copy the saves initially. The majority of my little experience with save file management has been with the AKRPG and swapping the sd cards. Good luck

8. science
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for your help anyways. I'm buying an SD card for it soon, so that is good info for me to know in the future, thanks a lot [​IMG]