Hacking Need Help With Replacing or Repairing Flash Cart Please!

Shadow Hado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

This is my first time ever posting on the forums rather than ocassionally lurking in them lol, so if I created this topic in the wrong forum I apologize. Also, I've tried to use Google and the forum search tool to answer as many of my own questions as I could, but to be honest some of this stuff just confuses me, and when I find websites/forums with conflicting information, it doesn't really help. :P

Here's my current hardware:
NDS Lite
CycloDS Evolution
EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion Pack (DS Lite Version)

So, this all began last week when I wanted to start playing Final Fantasy V Advance for GBA on my CycloDS / 3in1 cart, and the game kept telling me all of the save slots were corrupted. From what I've read and done, I'm assuming the SRAM in my 3in1 cart is screwed. Here's what I've done already:

- Tried SRAM / NOR modes in GBAexploader, as well as launching rom directly from CycloDS menu
- Tried other random RPGs that I know have saved before
- Updated GBAexploader version
- Replaced battery with brand new, identical model battery (CR1220)
- Used a blank SRAM.bin file to try and "erase" the SRAM on the cart
- Cleaned contacts on the cart
And finally, because I never saw a post suggest this until last night...
- Ran Cory's SRAM Test (v2 I believe?) and got a write error. Also got the same error with verify.

From what I understand, if you get an error in the SRAM Test, either your battery is dead, or your SRAM is. Looks like it's my SRAM. Another thing I should note, is that even now after replacing the battery in the cart, every time I run GBAexploader, it still asks if it can set Slot 2 to be used with GBAexploader.

So, with all of that out there, I have a few questions that I just couldn't seem to find a direct answer to, or I want to verify the information I found is correct.

1. Is it possible in any way, shape, or form, to (attempt to) repair the cart or the SRAM on the cart? If so, how would I do this?

2. I've been reading that the 3in1 is no longer produced, and that the only way I can get one is to find a site that has remaining stock of them. A TON of the sites that were recommended on the EZ-Flash website don't even exist anymore, and all of the other sites I've visited have seemed kinda fishy (in regards to possibly selling clones.) Can anyone recommend a reputable site that carries this cart?

3. If you can't recommend a site for this specific cart, can you recommend a comparable Slot 2 cart, and a site to purchase THAT particular cart?

4. Earlier today, I found a little bit of information that suggests that there are now some decent Slot 1 carts that can actually run (emulate?) GBA games without the need for a Slot 2 cart. Is this true? If so, how is game compatibility, and gameplay itself? Can you please recommend one of these carts (and of course, a site to purchase it from)?

Thank you guys very much for your time! This whole debacle has eaten up a ton of my time, so I really appreciate any help or advice that you can give!

~~Nate

P.S. - On a somewhat related note, I did think of another question that I've always wanted the answer to, but could never really figure out.

#5. Is there any way to get SNES games such as Final Fantasy III (VI), Super Metroid, and Super Mario RPG to run SMOOTHLY and without issues on a DS Lite? In the past (couple years ago I think) I tried using a SNES Emulator on my DS Lite, but things didn't go so well. For example, if I remember correctly, trying to play Super Metroid resulted in Samus being invisible, or something like that. I also saw something about turning NES and SNES games into actual .nds files and playing them that way, but I didn't know if that was a better option because I never got it to work. I just want to be able to play those (and other) games on a handheld and have them work properly / not lag / not have issues. I have a bit of experience with this on my PSP, but I won't talk about that here.

I apologize for the incredibly long post, and thanks again!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't answer your GBA-slot issues, but...

As far as GBA and SNES emulation, that's done by carts that have their own onboard processors that are more powerful than the DS's for emulation (do note that the DS is 8 year old hardware by now). The most prominent of these is the Supercard DSTwo... but it's not perfect. It's a lot better than anything else, but it's still not perfect. Check the review for info.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/232281-supercard-dstwo-review/

The DS just isn't a handheld for emulation, it's far too weak for many systems. I do suggest updating your PSP's CFW and emulators instead, if you still have it.

Shadow Hado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't answer your GBA-slot issues, but...

As far as GBA and SNES emulation, that's done by carts that have their own onboard processors that are more powerful than the DS's for emulation (do note that the DS is 8 year old hardware by now). The most prominent of these is the Supercard DSTwo... but it's not perfect. It's a lot better than anything else, but it's still not perfect. Check the review for info.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/232281-supercard-dstwo-review/

The DS just isn't a handheld for emulation, it's far too weak for many systems. I do suggest updating your PSP's CFW and emulators instead, if you still have it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the DSTwo, I'll definitely look into that!

As for the PSP, I definitely still have it. I'm currently using my PSP-3000 with CFW 6.39 PRO B-6, and I use the SNES9x TYL 0.4.2 emulator. I mean, for the most part it plays games just fine, and I can get FFVI to run fairly well, but there is still some slowdown. On the other hand Super Mario RPG, one of the most demanding SNES games ever, constantly has slowdown and issues. I guess I was just hoping that, although extremely unlikely, the DS somehow ran (those) SNES games more smoothly.

Anyways, thanks again for the DSTwo suggestion! I'll definitely be considering that if I can't fix the 3in1 problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse