Need help with pricing an iphone I'm selling

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, we have an iPhone 4 32gig BRAND NEW. It's not even unwrapped, it's totally sealed. The thing is, we bought it from a carrier (FIDO) so I think it's locked to them. Now, we bought it for 830$, but we can't afford it ultimately (we being my girlfriends mom)

so in the end, I'm trying to sell it. I put it up for 750$, but apparently, that's too much.
For a brand new. Never used. Completely un-opened iPhone when it's nearly impossible to find an iPhone anywhere around here these days. (iPhone 4, that is.)

So, we check those people who like to buy them. . and they said they're only willing to pay 500$ for it?!?!?

I'm wondering if this all makes sense, or if they're just trying to rip me off.
tongue.gif
Let me know, 'cause my girlfriends mom bought this shit and realized she can't afford it, so she got me to bring it back but turns out you can only return 15 days after and it's been over a month. . . so now we have 830$ owed to our bill and if we don't pay it, all of our phones get cut.

I'm fucked
frown.gif

Heelpp!!
tongue.gif
Thanks, in advance, guys, haha.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
IMHO - Personally I think they're trying to rip you off

In UK such a phone on Amazon goes for £668 (I THINK that works out to ~1061$ [Canadian].. I assume you ARE Canadian) - & that's for an UNLOCKED version. Unlocked one are usually more expensive though

If the phone is actually LOCKED then it's ~£570 (~905 $).... the only one I can find is 'locked' to the Orange network BTW

Now considering YOUR phone is technically 'Second hand' even though it's not been used, I would usually consider a 10%-20% decrease in price would be fairly respectible for a 'discount'

This would mean .. UNLOCKED would be ~849 to 955$ & a LOCKED ~725 to 815$

HOWEVER Ebay does have a few of these phones going for ~£420 (~667$) - LOCKED - but even so that is STILL higher than what those people are willing to pay...

Anyway, I hope that this give you some ideas of what to aim for

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A tip is to try and not sell it online, because people usually expect huge discounts online.

Pawn it and ask for ~$750, when they see it's brand new and wrapped, I'd expect them to find that reasonable.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Keeley said:
I expect this is the reason why... People pay for $30 for an 1 year warranty AND its from Apple, not from a potential scam. ( not saying you are a scam ).

What people fail to realize is that the "prices" people see and are harrumphing about, are only the subsidized contract prices.

It was like when I was selling my G1. I wanted $150 for it and people wanted to give me $50 because it was $100 with a contract.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Apple sells the only unlocked version of the iPhone tbh it sounds like sonknuck got ripped off big time. That CA$779 is for the unlocked phone as far as I can see. There is no mention of a contract when you go through the checkout.

Basically Sonknuck I think you're gonna have to cut your losses and take $500-600 for it. Its a phone that's locked into a carrier as its sounds like you've bought a prepaid/pay as you go version and they can get a new unlocked on for $779

Keeley

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TwinRetro said:
Keeley said:
I expect this is the reason why... People pay for $30 for an 1 year warranty AND its from Apple, not from a potential scam. ( not saying you are a scam ).

What people fail to realize is that the "prices" people see and are harrumphing about, are only the subsidized contract prices.

It was like when I was selling my G1. I wanted $150 for it and people wanted to give me $50 because it was $100 with a contract.

I'm sorry that my post was misleading, I meant $30 MORE than sonknuck23's suggested price, but if you read my link you would have figured that out xD

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I know people who bought the iPhone 4 off of Rogers and Fido, both without the contract, for $599.99. From a carrier, without the whole tie-in. That'd explain why nobody's willing to pay $750 for your new iPhone, because they can get one that's not tied to a carrier from Rogers, Fido, Telus, etc. for a whole $150 less.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, okay. Keep in mind, though; is the phone they got 32gigs? 'cause I know the 8gb iPhone 4 here without a contract is around that price, but the 32gb is expensive. Even on the apple website, it's 779$ I think. or 799$, one or the other.
tongue.gif

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
sonknuck23 said:
Ah, okay. Keep in mind, though; is the phone they got 32gigs? 'cause I know the 8gb iPhone 4 here without a contract is around that price, but the 32gb is expensive. Even on the apple website, it's 779$ I think. or 799$, one or the other.
tongue.gif
I don't think there's an 8GB iPhone 4, though I could be mistaken. I've only seen the iPhone 4 in 16GB and 32GB. The iPhone 3GS 8GB model is still common, and that can be taken for around $199 without a contract. I believe it can be $599 for the 16GB iPhone 4, and $699 for the 32GB model, though I'm not sure. Even then, your offer is over the price set by the cell phone carriers themselves.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So let me confirm this; You're saying I was ripped-off / over-charged. . . by the carrier? I bought my phone FROM Fido, not off of somebody, in case that's the point of confusion. . .

EDIT: Yeah, just checked with BELL for example. 32gb iPhone4 with NO Contract = 769$ + tax.

I would never spend that much on a phone, personally. I got a 16gb 3G for myself on eBay for 200$ and it works perfectly, and I got so many extras with it, I sold a lot of them for like, 15$ (cases and etc)

In return, I only spent about 140$ on the phone. And it works real great.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
sonknuck23 said:
So let me confirm this; You're saying I was ripped-off / over-charged. . . by the carrier? I bought my phone FROM Fido, not off of somebody, in case that's the point of confusion. . .

EDIT: Yeah, just checked with BELL for example. 32gb iPhone4 with NO Contract = 769$ + tax.
That's the interesting part, because Rogers, at least the ones in my area, all offer the 32GB iPhone 4 without carrier for around $699 at most. Through a few negotiations, I've had friends walk away with one at $599. Fido is a sub-division of Rogers I think, so they may have over-charged you. However, judging from your location, pricing might be different in Quebec or in Eastern Canada in general, the former more likely to happen based on certain provincial laws. I'm in Vancouver, if that makes any difference.

Also, Bell tends to overprice everything in the first place, I wouldn't trust a single thing from them.
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/