Need help with pricing an iphone I'm selling

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by sonknuck23, Jan 24, 2011.

Jan 24, 2011
  1. sonknuck23
    OP

Member sonknuck23 Mighty Switch Force >

Canada
    So, we have an iPhone 4 32gig BRAND NEW. It's not even unwrapped, it's totally sealed. The thing is, we bought it from a carrier (FIDO) so I think it's locked to them. Now, we bought it for 830$, but we can't afford it ultimately (we being my girlfriends mom)

so in the end, I'm trying to sell it. I put it up for 750$, but apparently, that's too much.
    For a brand new. Never used. Completely un-opened iPhone when it's nearly impossible to find an iPhone anywhere around here these days. (iPhone 4, that is.)

So, we check those people who like to buy them. . and they said they're only willing to pay 500$ for it?!?!?

I'm wondering if this all makes sense, or if they're just trying to rip me off. [​IMG] Let me know, 'cause my girlfriends mom bought this shit and realized she can't afford it, so she got me to bring it back but turns out you can only return 15 days after and it's been over a month. . . so now we have 830$ owed to our bill and if we don't pay it, all of our phones get cut.

I'm fucked [​IMG]

Heelpp!! [​IMG] Thanks, in advance, guys, haha.

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    IMHO - Personally I think they're trying to rip you off

In UK such a phone on Amazon goes for £668 (I THINK that works out to ~1061$ [Canadian].. I assume you ARE Canadian) - & that's for an UNLOCKED version. Unlocked one are usually more expensive though

If the phone is actually LOCKED then it's ~£570 (~905 $).... the only one I can find is 'locked' to the Orange network BTW

Now considering YOUR phone is technically 'Second hand' even though it's not been used, I would usually consider a 10%-20% decrease in price would be fairly respectible for a 'discount'

This would mean .. UNLOCKED would be ~849 to 955$ & a LOCKED ~725 to 815$

HOWEVER Ebay does have a few of these phones going for ~£420 (~667$) - LOCKED - but even so that is STILL higher than what those people are willing to pay...

Anyway, I hope that this give you some ideas of what to aim for

3. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    A tip is to try and not sell it online, because people usually expect huge discounts online.

Pawn it and ask for ~$750, when they see it's brand new and wrapped, I'd expect them to find that reasonable.

4. Keeley

Member Keeley GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I expect this is the reason why... People pay for $30 for an 1 year warranty AND its from Apple, not from a potential scam. ( not saying you are a scam ).

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

What people fail to realize is that the "prices" people see and are harrumphing about, are only the subsidized contract prices.

It was like when I was selling my G1. I wanted $150 for it and people wanted to give me $50 because it was $100 with a contract.

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Apple sells the only unlocked version of the iPhone tbh it sounds like sonknuck got ripped off big time. That CA$779 is for the unlocked phone as far as I can see. There is no mention of a contract when you go through the checkout.

Basically Sonknuck I think you're gonna have to cut your losses and take $500-600 for it. Its a phone that's locked into a carrier as its sounds like you've bought a prepaid/pay as you go version and they can get a new unlocked on for $779

7. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    Well we bought our phone At Fido. Apparently, at all the stores and etc, without a contract, the phone is supposed to be this expensive.

8. Keeley

Member Keeley GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I'm sorry that my post was misleading, I meant $30 MORE than sonknuck23's suggested price, but if you read my link you would have figured that out xD

9. SmokeFox

Member SmokeFox Jesus Christ is the Lord

Brazil
    Why dont you suggest $650,00 i guess it is a fair price.

10. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I know people who bought the iPhone 4 off of Rogers and Fido, both without the contract, for $599.99. From a carrier, without the whole tie-in. That'd explain why nobody's willing to pay $750 for your new iPhone, because they can get one that's not tied to a carrier from Rogers, Fido, Telus, etc. for a whole $150 less.

11. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    Ah, okay. Keep in mind, though; is the phone they got 32gigs? 'cause I know the 8gb iPhone 4 here without a contract is around that price, but the 32gb is expensive. Even on the apple website, it's 779$ I think. or 799$, one or the other. [​IMG]

12. CarbonX13

Taiwan
    I don't think there's an 8GB iPhone 4, though I could be mistaken. I've only seen the iPhone 4 in 16GB and 32GB. The iPhone 3GS 8GB model is still common, and that can be taken for around $199 without a contract. I believe it can be $599 for the 16GB iPhone 4, and $699 for the 32GB model, though I'm not sure. Even then, your offer is over the price set by the cell phone carriers themselves.

13. sonknuck23
    OP

Canada
    So let me confirm this; You're saying I was ripped-off / over-charged. . . by the carrier? I bought my phone FROM Fido, not off of somebody, in case that's the point of confusion. . .

EDIT: Yeah, just checked with BELL for example. 32gb iPhone4 with NO Contract = 769$ + tax.

I would never spend that much on a phone, personally. I got a 16gb 3G for myself on eBay for 200$ and it works perfectly, and I got so many extras with it, I sold a lot of them for like, 15$ (cases and etc)

In return, I only spent about 140$ on the phone. And it works real great.

14. CarbonX13

Taiwan
    That's the interesting part, because Rogers, at least the ones in my area, all offer the 32GB iPhone 4 without carrier for around $699 at most. Through a few negotiations, I've had friends walk away with one at $599. Fido is a sub-division of Rogers I think, so they may have over-charged you. However, judging from your location, pricing might be different in Quebec or in Eastern Canada in general, the former more likely to happen based on certain provincial laws. I'm in Vancouver, if that makes any difference.

Also, Bell tends to overprice everything in the first place, I wouldn't trust a single thing from them. [​IMG]