Need help with new R4i-SDHC and Dsi 1.4U

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Nataq, Oct 26, 2010.

Oct 26, 2010
  1. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    Just bought a Dsi from a friend and ordered a r4i-SDHC from www.r4i-sdhc.com.
    The DSi is running 1.4U (not 1.4.1) and r4i-SDHC is for 1.4 (not 1.4.1).
    I have installed kernel 1.27b.
    When I boot up the DSi I see the star wars game needed to lauch the R4 menu.
    R4 menu load just fine when I click on it but I cannot see any roms (when on the default "game" icon, top right)
    I have tried to put roms on the root of the micro-sd and also on a "Roms" folder.
    I also tried to format the micro-sd (Kingston 8g) and reinstall kernel. No go. Roms are not showing up.
    I got a rom package so I didnt tried a rom from somewhere else, this is my next step.

Do I need an older kernel ? If so wich one ? What else could be wrong ?

2. pjmorie

Member pjmorie GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Did the 'rom package' come in a zipped file and if so have you extracted all the roms before transferring them to your micro sd card?

3. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    All roms files are individual files.

I have just tried the panasonic SD formater just to try (seen the tip on other thread. Still no go

My micro SD card is the Kingston 8g class4.

I have a quick message saying to reformat the card on the DS when click A on the game icon...

micro-sd card works fine though (menu load fine of course)

4. pjmorie

Member pjmorie GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Are the roms .nds files?

5. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    They were all .rar files! I unrar them all and now I can see them in the menu!

But I am still not done!

When selecting a game with the A button, a popup screen appear that says "sauvegardes" (would be "saves" in english... my kernel is in french). That screen then seems frozen. I cannot touch anything either with the stylus or any buttons.... I have waited around 4-5 minutes without anything that happened.

Whats next ?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

6. pspunabletohack

Member pspunabletohack GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    If You downloaded a game extract the rar then you will see a lot of rars select them all and choose extract here then you will see one .nds file place that on your micro sd [​IMG]

7. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    I got the .nds correctly so last issue not related with that.

Thanks anyway!

8. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    My Dsi was bought in Canada and is set in french. My kernel is also in french... just to give more info not that I think there would be an issue with that.

9. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    I formated the micro-sd for the X times, this time with Windows (right-click on micro-sd, format) and then I have verified the date on the DSi. Date was Ok but I still changed it for 2 days in advance (I have seen some freezing issue that have been solved like this).

Now everything worked! I dont know if it was due to the last format or the date change but everyhting is good to go.

I have changed back to the correct date and everything still works.

Thank you all for your help!

10. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    Ok I thought ebverything was good but that was only 1 game working... the 5 others that I installed are not.

The DSi hangs at the "creating save file" screen, right after the bar reach the end. Then nothing, just stays like this forever.

I tried changing the date, reinstall kernel, reformat micro-sd, no go!

I even tried with another micro-sd with exact same issue. Unfortunatly that was the exact same model and brand micro-sd card.

I will try a 2g one tonight and see if its any better.

Have you guys seen this behavior before ?

11. Nataq
    OP

Newcomer Nataq Newbie

Canada
    Tried with more roms last night and a few others worked. I would say 1 out of 3-4 are not working. Maybe my rom package is to blame or is that suppose to be like this ? For exemple, Mario 64 is not working. I had 2 roms, 1 with "v01" in the name... both not working. I guess I will have to try and get roms somewhere else.

Didnt tried 2g mem card yesterday didnt hd time but I doubt that is anything to do with the sd card since some games are working fine. Still, I may try it for fun.