Hardware Need help with fixing my pokemon gba game.

SpiritWave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Hello guys!
I have a problem with my pokemon ruby cartridge that I've had for ages. Thing is, is that when i try to boot up the game the gameboy logo pops up but right after when the actual game starts it's just a white screen, no music, no nothing. I've tried blowing into the cart and cleaning the metal connectors to no avail. So I thought that maybe you guys could help me somehow.

Here's a picture of the game's circuit board.

qIdkj

or

http://imgur.com/a/qIdkj

Last edited by SpiritWave,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello guys!
I have a problem with my pokemon ruby cartridge that I've had for ages. Thing is, is that when i try to boot up the game the gameboy logo pops up but right after when the actual game starts it's just a white screen, no music, no nothing. I've tried blowing into the cart and cleaning the metal connectors to no avail. So I thought that maybe you guys could help me somehow.

Here's a picture of the game's circuit board.

qIdkj

or

http://imgur.com/a/qIdkj
at least it's not a bootleg\fake

isolate the battery pads.
make sure they are not touching anything...
in the picture they seem like they are touching the chip pins.. either dissolder them, or put some non conductive tape...

SpiritWave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Ok I'll try doing that right now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

at least it's not a bootleg\fake

isolate the battery pads.
make sure they are not touching anything...
in the picture they seem like they are touching the chip pins.. either dissolder them, or put some non conductive tape...
nope, did not work, same issue.

KevinLSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it does look like it got chipped or something. Is there any way of fixing it or is the cart pretty much dead now?
Lightly scrape the trace with a knife and solder from one side of the trace to the other. Also the pins look really dirty, try using brasso to clean it.

lostdotfish

Trophies
XP
Country
Will these games load with the battery completely removed? Not sure.

That trace doesn't look broken to me - you have to go pretty hard to cut a trace.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Will these games load with the battery completely removed? Not sure.

That trace doesn't look broken to me - you have to go pretty hard to cut a trace.
the battery isn't rechargeable.. there is no current going to the battery.. having a dead battery or no battery is the same thing

lostdotfish

Trophies
XP
Country
the battery isn't rechargeable.. there is no current going to the battery.. having a dead battery or no battery is the same thing

No it isn't - there's a difference between a circuit with a flat battery in and an open circuit (battery removed terminals removed) or a short circuit (terminals joined)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
btw by the looks at it, i would just assume the pins short circuited the chip while the cartridge was in the console and it's practically dead...

@OP, try to load it in a gba backup tool like a DS lite, see if the backup tool detects something and can rescue the save

lostdotfish

Trophies
XP
Country
If it were me, I'd remove the terminals, order a tabbed cr1616 and solder it in place making sure the tabs don't short any of the pins on the IC underneath.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
No it isn't - there's a difference between a circuit with a flat battery in and an open circuit (battery removed terminals removed) or a short circuit (terminals joined)
heh now that i remember, i have one emerald cartridge without a battery (relative failed to solder the tabs in a new battery) and does work.. it has the tabs removed and the battery pins are not connected...

lostdotfish

Trophies
XP
Country
heh now that i remember, i have one emerald cartridge without a battery (relative failed to solder the tabs in a new battery) and does work.. it has the tabs removed and the battery pins are not connected...

Then in that case - I'd recommend the OP desolders those tabs completely to rule out any shorts, they look very close to the IC pins.

Also, I assume your console is loading other games fine?

SpiritWave

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Then in that case - I'd recommend the OP desolders those tabs completely to rule out any shorts, they look very close to the IC pins.

Also, I assume your console is loading other games fine?
Sorry for not responding I was not home these last few days. Ok so I desoldered the tabs completely and it still doesen't work and yes other games are working fine.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
@OP, try to load it in a gba backup tool like a DS lite, see if the backup tool detects something and can rescue the save
i think that your cartridge is kaput.. the tabs very likely shorted the chip...
try to resque the save and get a new one...
if you need help to know if you get a fake let me know

GoodAtBeingNoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd try running a soldering iron over all of the pins connecting the chips on the board, also fix that broken trace. If that doesn't work then carefully sand down the pins with 1000 or 2000 grit sand paper.

Hope this helps!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn