need help with black brick and wii settings replacer (gc_fix)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zetadragon90, Dec 27, 2009.

1. zetadragon90
    OP

Newcomer zetadragon90 Member

United States
    My Wii(ntsc) has a black brick and I have bootmii. After installing the correct ios and system menu when I launch the settings replacement tool (gc_fix) it says "making the file writable", and nothing happens until I press the A button, then it asks if I want to make a backup of the seting.txt and the black brick was not fixed. Can anyone tell me how can i get the tool to work? or is there any other method to fix my black brick? thanks in advance

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Try this one: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Setting_Replace_Mod

The new tool requires you have cIOS installed. The old one never worked well for me on the one occasion I had to use it. I haven't used this new one.

Why are you trying to replace settings.txt? Remember, you only need to do this if you uninstalled the system menu.

3. SnacksHacks

Newcomer SnacksHacks Advanced Member

United States
    In most cases a black brick is a result of the system menu not being there. Maybe you uninstalled it somehow. If you could tell us how you bricked your Wii that would help to solve the problem. In this case setting.txt replacer might not even be needed here.

4. zetadragon90
    OP

United States
    I have already reinstalled system menu 4.1U and ios 60 and 61. The new version of System Setting Replace Mod gives me the same problem.My Wii still has the black brick after doing all that. I guess that all I can do is to ask for a ntsc nand backup and try to use it with Betwiin.

5. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Try SM4.2 and IOS70

6. leondmsmith

Member leondmsmith GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    did the brick result of running this program in the first place or did you do something else to get the brick?

7. zetadragon90
    OP

United States
    I honestly dont know what caused the brick one day I turned on my wii and the black screen was there. I used waninkokos firmware updater to 4.1 a long time ago to update my wii, so that may be the cause.

8. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    if you've tried settings replace and 4.2 and IOS70 I would say your bluetooth has gone bad or has worked it's way loose or some other hardware failure

9. thiefstar

Newcomer thiefstar Member

Japan
    I had the same problem, it seems not a hardware problem. I have checked Bluetooth and wireless LAN board, I even checked the Bluetooth socket. There is no problem.
    Although I install SM-IOS and IOS or replace setting.txt. system-menu still does not boot. Up to now I still can not resolve it [​IMG]

10. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    since you have bootmii, you can use comex's nand formatter. it will put a setting.txt on your nand and install some wads. but it will also delete everything. but just make a nand dump before you do so you can extract all you game saves and stuff.

11. thiefstar

Newcomer thiefstar Member

Japan
    I have tried USA_vertion and EUR_vertion. it's dosen't work for this Wii.