Need help with Beethoven's Fifth Symphony

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by suppachipmunk, Jun 29, 2008.

Jun 29, 2008
  1. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    Hello all.

I am taking a Music Appreciation class at Georgia State University and the instructor requires us to do a report on one piece of music and the composer. This class mainly covers Western Classical music.

I did my report on Ludwig Van Beethoven and his famous Fifth Symphony and tonight I actually got to see the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra live. So that was pretty cool.

My only problem is that I cannot tell you anything about classical music. So if anyone could help me with these two questions, I would be so appreciative. I already did a google search to no avail.

1.) In the Fifth Symphony's First Movement (the one with the Dun, Dun, Dun, Dun.....) Fate knocking at the door, what is the meter? duple or triple? I cannot figure this out about any piece of music. The meter makes no sense to me at all. I cannot distinguish...

2.) How many melodies are contained within the First Movement? I count 2 melodies. It starts off with the theme, then Melody01, then Melody01, then transitions to Melody02, and then repeats Melody02, then enters the coda. But I am unsure about this as well.

I am music-stupid and would appreciate any help from any music enthusiast.

Thanks in advance.