Gaming Need help with a power supply replacement

Barishnakov

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new here. My friend recommended me to this site as a great place to get some tech help, so here goes. My Sony VAIO VGC-RA820G's power supply recently exploded and I need to find a replacement. Before you tell me just to replace the computer, I'm planning to get a new one over the summer because I wouldn't really be able to take full advantage of one right now. I'm not planning to upgrade anything on the computer, just using it in it's store bought condition. From what I've seen online, this computer uses a proprietary powers supply model with weird dimensions, disallowing any after-market PSU's from being put in it. The only power supply I've found so far is an exact replacement for roughly $140. I just want to know if there are any better options for me (like a cheaper power supply) or if I should just suck it up and pay that. Thanks in advance!
-Barishnakov

cepheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Take out your power supply and buy any third party power supply of equal or greater wattage.

The only thing you need to make sure is that your new power supply has the same connectors as the old one. Your local computer hardware store should be able to set you up if you bring in your old broken power supply.

There is no need to buy the exact same one.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you mount a normal power supply outside the computer?

$150 for a PSU is a ripoff, if you're forced to get that option then just buy a new computer (even if you don't want one, it's just not worth it to pay $140 for a new PSU >.>)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First a blown power supply can mean stuff further down has died too so if you can test out the equipment in another machine.

It seems Sony have pulled their usual proprietary parts trick which I intensely dislike although I suppose it does give me some work on occasion.
Paying silly money for a power supply is not on, especially when a replacement machine of the same specs would be around that in price (to save others search: http://www.shopping.com/xPF-VAIO-VGC-RA820G )

Brackets are easy enough, I usually use oblongs of sheet metal and drill holes for customs supplies. I have tangled with these sort of things in the past so check there is no switch anywhere in the case to prevent this from working.

The trouble is you now need to find a pin out for the psu and sony manuals are as helpful as ever.

I assume you are not overly familiar with electrical engineering or I would suggest you adapt another one so you need to find enough info to for a shop.
Now comes the hard part, reverse engineering a broken item. Ultimately you will need the dead supply unless you want to make connectors.

First a search.
http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?to...rd2=electronics
There is a now dead link on the page to something that might be useful but there is also a post.
Later searching says sony proprietary stuff is shared between sony systems which is nice.
http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/...ctor/46350.html

The people that make the supply are delta but they are not going to have anything:
http://www.deltaww.com/

Now to the problem at hand:
It is usually a transformer or coils that blow rather than anything electronic (on the other hand if there is no magic smoke it is usually a loose connection) which is easy enough to bypass so if you get another source in there you can determine a pin out (you could trace manually but it gets harder and voltages are a bit harder to figure out). From that page above it seems you main problem is the custom 3 pin supply and the fact some voltages are checked by the system (ostensibly for reasons of making sure it is all good but I would sooner read a check you have not replaced it). 3 wires usually means power, neutral and ground. They said something about the info being there on the supply/wires/board so hopefully you can do that.
Voltages where it matters appear to be normal 5V so you should get away without resistors, zener diodes or further transformers (others reading yes people are using transformers for low voltages again).

Good ol' Phi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
$150 for a PSU is a ripoff,
lol i payed 300 eur for my 1kw psu i polish it every day
wub.gif

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When my 500W blew, I replaced it with a 700W Thermaltake. Their power supplies are so reliable, you can't go wrong with them.

cepheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can buy a lower end pc for about $400 (without monitor) NEW from futureshop or staples or possibly walmart. trust me, a $400 dollar computer now is far superior to your sony P4 3.2GHz (sad I know).

I didn't know sony had proprietary power supplies...that just sucks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ohhh just noticed that myself I bet it makes the Master System port look amazing by comparison lol