Need help wiring Wiikey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kicksomeass, Mar 16, 2007.

Mar 16, 2007

Need help wiring Wiikey by kicksomeass at 12:11 PM (713 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. kicksomeass
    OP

Newcomer kicksomeass Newbie

Australia
    Hey everyone

I am in need for some help wiring my wiikey. I thought this would have been an easy thing to find on the internet but i had no luck. I have been told by some people that this forum is very good at helping people with any problems to do with modding a Wii. I do understand how to do the quicksolder method but i think it is a much better idea to use the wire method. Basicly i need to know where exactly do i solder the wire to my wii and then to the wiikey, pictures or even videos would be much appreciated [​IMG]

thx

2. Tomobobo

Member Tomobobo Champion.

United States
    Well man, it's pretty easy. What I did on my friend's wii/wiikey was put the chip where it would go on the board if I was going to quick solder. That'll show you what points connect to the chip. Then, you just run wires from those points (one by one if you need to) to the chip.

3. kicksomeass
    OP

Australia
    hmmm ok i now get where to put the wires on the wii. When you connect the wires to the wiikey do you attach them to the solder pads?

4. Tomobobo

United States
    Yeah, like, there'll be those rings around the biggest points, and they should have pads next to them somewhere. The rest should be pads already. Don't forget to tin your iron and your wire. Good luck.

5. kicksomeass
    OP

Australia
    ok.. well ill be a man and try i guess [​IMG] thx Tomobobo you have been a good help

before i do this is there anything else i should know about?

6. Tomobobo

United States
    Do you know what I mean by "tinning"?

Basically, you just put a little bit of solder on the tip of your iron, just enough to make it shiny. Do the same with both ends of the wire you'll be using, it makes it very easy to solder the wires to the pads.

Also, if you don't have all the proper equipment stop right now and either go get it, or get someone else to do it for you. There's no point in destroying your Wii or your chip when you could just wait a little bit.

The solder I used was from radio shack, I don't know the AWG of it, it says .015 diameter. It's really thin, and I wouldn't recommend anything else. For wire, I use strips of IDE cable, just cause I have it laying around and it's really thin too.

Also, if you're not at least moderately experienced in soldering, stop, and go practice for a few days before jumping into this. Even if you have cash to replace your Wii, they're hard to find.

Again, good luck. Oh, and welcome to GBAtemp.