Country
United States
[SOLVED]

Issue: Booting Gateway Menu freezes console
Console: Nintendo New 3DS XL
sysNAND: 9.0.0-20U
emuNAND: 9.5.0-23U
CFW: CakesFW and rxTools

I used this guide (https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-a-cfw-on-a-9-0-9-2-n3ds-without-cn-oot.398394/) to install CFW and to format an emuNAND partition on my SDXC card. My NANDs are no longer linked and I primarily use rxTools to boot into emuNAND. The below quotes possess more details on the issue I'm experiencing.
I deleted the CN save and reinstalled the exploit. The console froze at this point:
2ia4jzb.jpg
2ia4jzb.jpg

I also tried replacing the Launch.dat [launcher.dat] file with one that was freshly extracted from the GW zip folder. My console still froze when attempting to launch the Gateway menu:
2wq4zyh.jpg

Would it be worthwhile to delete the CN save again and reinstall the exploit with the fresh Launch.dat [launcher.dat] file?

Edit: Lately the top screen will also turn solid red before abruptly quitting out of CN with the "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close..." message.

I reformatted my SDXC card and N3DS XL. Again, I was able to successfully install CakesFW, install FBI, install CN and format emuNAND. My console still froze when attempting to access the Gateway menu after restoring the SD card. I then deleted CN, reinstalled CN, and replaced Gateway's Launcher.dat file. I'm still unable to enter the Gateway menu. Through multiple attempts I've seen the top screen freeze as solid pink, pink with vertical glitched green stripe at various locations, solid red, and solid grey. Are there any other troubleshooting steps I can take?
I'd like further troubleshooting advice or to be informed of another means for cheap CFW users to create 3DS ROM backups. I say "cheap" because I'm currently unwilling to invest in any flashcarts. Thank you for reading and I look forward to reading your troubleshooting suggestions.

Edit 20151221: corrected "launch.dat" with "laucher.dat"
Edit 20151222: Issue Solved

Last edited by Mythrandir,

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry double posted
I double checked my SDXC card and the contents of the Gateway zip folder. They are both called launcher.dat. My usage of launch.dat within the quoted post is due to erroneous spelling and a lack of sufficient proofreading.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this boot Homemenuhax, launch mini pasta, use a CIA installer and install a Cubic Ninja CIA to your sysnand (not the NAND itself use SD if you use FBI), then scan the qr code for your region 3DS to enter the gateway launcher.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also i've had the error before with the purple screen it's because of firmlaunch being on disable it.

Attachments

• miniPasta.zip
    138.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by Xenon Hacks,
Reactions: Mythrandir

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this boot Homemenuhax, launch mini pasta, use a CIA installer and install a Cubic Ninja CIA to your sysnand (not the NAND itself use SD if you use FBI), then scan the qr code for your region 3DS to enter the gateway launcher.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also i've had the error before with the purple screen it's because of firmlaunch being on disable it.
Thank you very much! After installing and running miniPasta, I now have access to the Gateway Menu after formatting the emuNAND partition. Do you happen to know why this error occurs when firmlaunch is enabled?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much! After installing and running miniPasta, I now have access to the Gateway Menu after formatting the emuNAND partition. Do you happen to know why this error occurs when firmlaunch is enabled?
The only thing that comes to mind is firmlaunch spoofs the firmware to be higher and the Gateway launcher only works up to 9.2 this may cause a conflict.

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that comes to mind is firmlaunch spoofs the firmware to be higher and the Gateway launcher only works up to 9.2 this may cause a conflict.
That certainly makes sense. I wish I'd known that when I first formatted my emuNAND. I reformatted my SDXC card and console twice before creating this thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.