Need help "translating" a few things on my résumé

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Hachibei, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Hachibei
    OP

Member Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    So basically, a lot of people are saying my résumé is weak, mainly because I don't know how to make myself (a supremely average individual) sound good.

Anyways, I just need some help rephrasing these things to make it sound better/more important:

-Able to multitask
    -Attentive to detail
    -Good time management skills

2. omatic

Member omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Something really important talk about is teamwork and people skills. The best way to show off the skills you're talking about is to give examples of situations in which you demonstrated those skills, not to just say you have them.

For example, on my resume, I might put:

October 2008 to December 2008: Volunteer for ACES tutoring program - 40 hours.
    - Tutored middle school students to prepare them for an upcoming standardized test.
    - Required teamwork with other tutors and time management to manage a large quantity of children at once.
    - Understaffing required an ability to multi-task radically different responsibilities at the same time.
    - Required a solid foundation in math, science, and English comprehension.

I'd recommend volunteering somewhere if you don't have any notable experiences in which you can frame those skills. You don't really have to show all those skills, just do things that might require them (in my example, I only really handled 3 kids, and the multitasking involved ordering pizza during the tutoring session).