Hacking Need help starting from scratch with my R4DS.

nalixor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Though various things I have read here and fiddled around with, I have pretty much made the stuff on my R4 cart completely incomprehensible, and I would love to return to a clean slate, so to speak. I had a look in the FAQ and searched a bit, but I was unable to find what I was looking for.

I'd like to completely format my R4 and reinstall the latest Firmware (I'm not sure whether it should be TTmenu or YSmenu, from what I have read going with YSmenu seems to be the superior option).
Is there a guide already in place for this kinda thing? And is there a tool I should use to format my microsd completely?

I deeply apologise if this has been covered before, but I had a look and I couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are Two Guides for Getting YSMenu on your R4: 1) Triassic's Guide of getting YSMenu on your R4 [Long way; in the Stickies] 2) a2h's YSMenu Generator [Simple way, just follow the Instructions given from a2h's GUI]

Or...

1) You could use the Original R4 Firmware (Latest is Version 1.18). Though, I don't recommend this firmware at all...unless you just absolutely like the R4 Firmware and is fine with the "Unable to support All Cheats" and other problems thing. You're mostly going to have to patch the games that are out these days.

2) You could use Moonshl 2 by Fairy Wings. It has a nice GUI, but it's still Beta Testing. Moonshl 2 can be found in the R4 section, posted by Normmatt. I'm not sure if Moonshl 2 loads the new games fine, but that's up to you!

This is "ONLY" if you want to use Moonshl 2 ::: 1) Move All of the things (except for the README) that you downloaded from Normmatt's download link and move it to the Root of your R4. 2) If you want to use Cheats, you're gonna have to go to Fairy Wing's website and find "NDSINFO.EXE". When you got the NDSINFO.EXE, make a folder called "Games" and move all of your NDS games into that folder. Then move NDSINFO.EXE to the "Games" folder too and double click it. It should give you two new things: "ID Info" and some other file, a total of 2 files. Move those 2 files into the Moonshl 2 folder. There you go!

smile.gif

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elixirdream said:
this is why i recommend 1.24 instead of 1.18
tongue.gif

I heard that you were going to give us feedback about the version 1.24 firmware supporting all cheats, did it work? I'm guessing it worked. Doesn't it have some kind of other problems?

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
did i promise you all a feedback on that?

all i did was checked the choose one and multiple choose folder problem
its FIXED:)

if you are free..
you could always check how good the cheat engine is with this code

94000130 FEBF0000
DB000000 021BA47D
D4000000 00000001
D8000000 021BA47D
D2000000 00000000
94000130 FE7F0000
DB000000 021BA47D
D4000000 000000FF
D8000000 021BA47D
D2000000 00000000

pokemon mysteries of dungeon sky (U)
R+up or R+down to change the level of the dungeon
if it works means this 1.24 is better than ysmenu in terms of cheat engine...

---

i have to be clear.. i am not fussy like many others about SPEED and etc nonsense
all i require a flash cart to do is capable to play the game i want
as long it plays the game i want.. then is a good cart
regardless its r4 1.18 or some ancient flash cart
smile.gif

nalixor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I notice that there is actually a 1.25 version of the R4 firmware. Should I use that instead of the 1.24? or is the 1.24 more stable?

nalixor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
elixirdream said:
1.24 is for r4
1.25 is for r4li

I am probably very noob for asking this, but formatting the card, then just copying over the 1.24 firmware doesn't seem to work. It seems to freeze at the 'Loading' screen at the very beginning. Do I need to do something to this firmware before I copy it across?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for it in the mail. Just gathering info at the moment. If I have any trouble identifying it I'll be sure to post a pic. Thanks!

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Good news is the card you have is the same as mine, Mine wasnt ordered from Deal Extreme though, BUT my friends was, who i also did the firmware from.
Semi-Bad news is i am unsure if YSMENU Works on this card, theres a post floating around in this section however stating it is possible.

However, You will see when you get the card the website www.r4i-sdhc.com is printed on it.
The firmware on there is actually up to date. its called R4i V 1.12b, Now, your probably thinking, R4i? nonononono its not a i just a r4, Dont worry about it, get the R4i firmware.

This is what im using and its an awesome firmware. Currently playing all the good games and current releases. I suggust you use this firmware as, Not olnly is it the firmware for that particular cart, i can assure you it will work. and good at that.

But, If you really want to use YSMENU, im sure there is something floating around.

Hope I helped,
~Jordan (Outgum)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks outgum. I have a couple more questions about this cart.

1. Is there a file system I should be aware of? (i.e. Do the ROMS (DS or GBA) need to be placed into specific folders or is it compatible with custom paths?)

2. Does this cart support GBA roms without a slot 2 cart? I have a DS Lite, not a DS or DSi.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person