Need help setting up my speakers with my systems...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by MarcusRaven, Dec 13, 2010.

1. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Okay, so here's my dilemma. I've got a rather old set of Logitech 5.1 speakers, and they always worked well for me, but now I'm confused on how to get them to work properly.

My Wii is plugged in by component cables. My PS3 (slim) by HDMI. My TV is a Vizio VO420E. The speakers (X-530) are running through Logitech's old game adapter into the stereo RCA outputs of my TV. Now, I assume that my Wii will decode Dolby Pro Logic 5.1 normally due to stereo RCA audio being the source and output in this setup. (Is there a game that tests surround speakers for the Wii or GCN? My Wii's on 4.3, so using a DVD surround check is out of the question.) My PS3, on the other hand, confuses me. I can't figure out how to get it to work properly with this setup. I'm using a copy of Monsters Inc. on DVD for the THX Optimizer, and its obvious that the rear channel sounds do not come from the rear speakers, but more so from the front speakers. Now, when I go into my PS3's sound settings, I select HDMI as my hookup, and Auto for it to detect the outputs. The only ones it picks are Linear PCM 2Ch. 44.1 kHz, and Linear PCM 2Ch. 48 kHz. If its auto detecting these, then can I even pull this off? I've checked the audio options for my TV, and I can only change the digital audio out from PCM to Dolby, and the only option I have with the analog out is whether or not the volume setting affects the output.

Any help or ideas? (Please don't say get new speakers, because that really isn't an option for me right now.)

2. mathyuowns

Banned mathyuowns Banned

Australia
    buy new speakers?

3. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Fail.

4. MarcusRaven
    OP

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Anybody that isn't going to turn this into a joke topic?