Need help selling a domain!

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I have a domain that I need to sell, and I have no clue how to do it or where...anyone want to help me out? And if anyone posts a lmgtfy link I will personally come to your house and shit on your keyboard. Nothing personal.

Thanks in advance!

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
From http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_sell...main_names.html :
QUOTE said:
There are a bunch of sites where people try to buy and sell domain names, but in my experience, the best bet is to have a modest "for sale" graphic on the page that the domain serves up, but actually have some content of some sort, even just 2-3 paragraphs. Then the domain has SOME "existence" on the net, and has much greater value than if it's just a word. Make sense?

This helps the buyer too because hopefully the one page you have hosted on the domain is no longer in the sandbox and when the domain transfers and goes through the Google hiccup (Google checks domain name record change dates as one of its many variables for calculating search engine results placement) it'll come out in a few days or weeks, rather than a few months.

Two of the best sites I recommend for people interested in buying or selling domain names are AfterNIC and Great Domains.

Most of this seems pretty accurate to what I've seen on the websites. Else, you could sell the domain on ebay.

amrboghdady

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.deutsched.com
XP
Country
United States
You could try Sedo.com and NamePros.com (members there could also give you a free domain appraisal so you know its value before selling it)
At all costs though, avoid eBay, domains rarely sell for a good a price there

Good luck mate
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I forget the exact timings with regards to how often you can sell things from renewal, transfer and such like (even then a good faith arrangement like redirecting your DNS servers will be helpful) but in general you sell it like anything else with regards to payment- the tech stuff usually means you get to initiate a "domain name transfer"/"domain transfer" except where you might normally do it to yourself on another registrar you get to put details of somebody else in there and/or pass the code to them (you will have to "reply" to a few emails along the way as will your registrar so there is some fallback).

You might (read almost certainly will) have to unlock it (known as Registrar-Lock or domain lock depending on the person you are speaking to) to make it available for transfer and having good whois data is beyond highly recommended (I am not sure what goes if you have domain privacy extras).

Be warned some registrars will make this a pain to pull off (up to and including things that would earn them a finger wagging from someone they do not want to have that happen from) and equally some registrars will also allow you to transfer domains between accounts on the same service- accounts are usually free to make so you can also leave any headaches with subsequent transfer to your client (they will be in control of the domain though and able to change options- add in email redirects, subdomains and other DNS entries which is often good enough for them).

As you might expect this can be a simple to initiate as clicking a few buttons in your control panel or it could involve emails and phone calls to pull off depending on the company you are with (or possibly even who they are with if you have got yourself tangled up in a mess of subcontracting) so I am afraid specific instructions for your current situation are a different matter and it may see you have to pay something to pull it off (if you are the point in life where you are selling a domain you have probably seen all the various "deals" companies do)- better companies will allow you to pass this payment on but see the rest of this paragraph.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.