Hacking Need help restoring Wii Nand files

tapeismagical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a backup of an old Wii's NAND and Key files saved onto my computer. I recently got a new Wii and wanted to restore my old data. After installing BootMii and the HBC I tried to restore my old data onto the new Wii using BootMii. Something happened and now I cannot access either the HBC or the Wii system menu (black screen/ no signal). I can still access BootMii (installed as a boot2). I neglected to backup the new Wii's NAND files before trying to restore. Is there a way for me to unbrick this Wii?

tapeismagical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, I didn't know that when I tried to restore my old NAND and I think that's what bricked it. Are you able to convert NANDs from one Wii to another using keys?

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right, I didn't know that when I tried to restore my old NAND and I think that's what bricked it. Are you able to convert NANDs from one Wii to another using keys?
if you have your original nand backed there might be a hard mod way but i've never seen one... and ehm if you could ket the keys that should work, though i haven't found a way to get those keys, and even if you had the keys it would formt the nand so it's pretty useless to do unless you need to repair a wii.

tapeismagical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have my original NAND and keys for both Wiis. I tried Betwiin, but I'm not sure if the boot1 and boot2s are the same, and I don't want to use it unless I absolutely have to (for fear of bricking my Wii and being unable to launch BootMii if I do).

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try recovery mode by mashing the d-pad in a circle on a gamecube controller while the console boots.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I had an old Wii and both the keys and the NAND backup for that Wii. I have the new wii (the problem Wii) that I only have the keys for.
You can use the keys to generate a brand new NAND from scratch if necessary (using ohneschwanzenegger), so that should not be much of a problem. I think ModMii has the option to do this automatically in the GUI. If both of the Wiis had BootMii installed as boot2 they both likely have the same boot1 version (there are only two boot1 versions with BootMii boot2 support, and the first version is very uncommon. The second version is the one most launch-day Wiis and most BootMii as boot2 compatible Wiis since then have)

Edit:
Anyway, you can transfer all your save files from the old NAND if you end up generating a new NAND with ohneschwanzenegger. This is probably the safest route to go. WADs will still need to be reinstalled, but you can dump those from the old NAND with ShowMiiWads.
You will need to extract the files from your nand.bin dump. You can use either ShowMiiWads or Wii NAND Extractor to do this.

Once the NAND has been extracted navigate to the title/00010000/ folder and copy all the contents to your Wii's SD into SD:/savegames/. You will need to add 00010000 to the beginning of all the folder names in the SD:/savegames/ directory.

After doing do, you should now be able to run Savegame Manager or Savegame Manager GX ( http://wiibrew.org/wiki/SaveGame_Manager_GX ) on your Wii to restore your saves.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

tapeismagical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use the keys to generate a brand new NAND from scratch if necessary (using ohneschwanzenegger), so that should not be much of a problem. I think ModMii has the option to do this automatically in the GUI. If both of the Wiis had BootMii installed as boot2 they both likely have the same boot1 version (there are only two boot1 versions with BootMii boot2 support, and the first version is very uncommon. The second version is the one most launch-day Wiis and most BootMii as boot2 compatible Wiis since then have)
I do have ohneschwanzenegger, and have tried using the keys to make a new NAND, but I haven't succeeded. Can you explain how to create a fresh NAND from the keys?

Last edited by tapeismagical,

tapeismagical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I'm trying out ModMii, but the installer won't download the HackMii installer. Because of this I cannot reinstall all of the IOSs included with ModMii.

Edit: I downloaded the HackMii installer from BootMii.org and put those files onto my SD with the ModMii files (since I need bootmini.elf to install with BootMii as a boot2). However, if I try to run bootmini.elf with BootMii, I get some screwy green/purple screen and the Wii freezes. What should I do from here?

Last edited by tapeismagical,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, so I'm trying out ModMii, but the installer won't download the HackMii installer. Because of this I cannot reinstall all of the IOSs included with ModMii.

Edit: I downloaded the HackMii installer from BootMii.org and put those files onto my SD with the ModMii files (since I need bootmini.elf to install with BootMii as a boot2). However, if I try to run bootmini.elf with BootMii, I get some screwy green/purple screen and the Wii freezes. What should I do from here?
I don't think you'll have much luck getting elf files to work with a completely screwed up NAND.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be missing the HMAC data, since that's usually stored at the end of the NAND image. (Restoring another system's NAND would overwrite this, though IIRC Bootmii usually doesn't let you restore the wrong NAND?)

tapeismagical

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you'll have much luck getting elf files to work with a completely screwed up NAND.
I was afraid of that. Is there anything else I can do?
You might be missing the HMAC data, since that's usually stored at the end of the NAND image. (Restoring another system's NAND would overwrite this, though IIRC Bootmii usually doesn't let you restore the wrong NAND?)
BootMii does let you restore the data if you input the Konami code... which I did.
I think I screwed up big time. Is there anything else I can try?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning