Need Help Removing Some Type Of Spyware.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GeekyGuy, Aug 18, 2007.

Aug 18, 2007
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I'm not sure exactly what the heck this is. I've got McAfee on my computer, along with a spyware scanner -- both part of my Comcast service. I've run both, too, but everytime I run a search on Google, when I click a link from the search it goes to an ad page. I have to click about three time before it'll finally take me to the intended page. Anyone have any advice on how to track down and remove this sort of problem from my PC?

I'm using Window XP w/ IE.

Thanks

2. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    You have a Hijacker, the easiest way to remove it would be to use “CWShredder”. It’s a standalone Trojan / Hijack removal tool no install needed, but it only looks at the biggest threats. If CWShredder can’t find it try “Spybot - Search & Destroy” Both are FREE & can be easily found with Google.

3. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Big, big thanks for that. I'll check them both out.

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
  5. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]

Well, thanks, man. I'll keep those in mind as well for the future.

The Spybot seemed to do the trick, though.

Thanks again!

6. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Update:

Okay, well it seems my problem isn't quite solved...

Every time I restart my computer, the hijacker thing seems to be back. I will use Spybot and all will be well. Then when I restart and try to run a Google search, those annoying adware pages are what I get.

Any ideas how to combat that?

Thanks again.

7. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    That means there is something more on your comp that is re-infecting it even after its removed. You did update Spybot after installing correct? Then the next 2 easiest ways would be run Spybot in safe-mode, safe-mode is windows at it’s most basic with very few drivers tasks & so on. To get to sate mode tap F8 as Windows boots, select Safe-mode & run Spybot again. The next easiest thing is just do System Restore to the day before the Hijacker. To find System Restore Click Start, Accessories, System Tools & click System Restore then pick a time before the problem started.

Hope that helps.

8. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Well, I certainly appreciate all your help, and I'll try and give the one option you mentioned a try -- using safemode. I tried to do it a couple of times and didn't have any luck getting into safemode; sad, I know -- I've done it a 100 times on other, older computers.

I would rather bypass having to do the other option, though, since that would require me to likely have to go back and re-install a ton of various programs and plug-ins. But I'm looking at other options as well. I did check out Ad-Aware, but it gave me some sort of error msg. mid-scan. Oh well...

9. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    After Spybot scans and fixes the Hijacker, click Immunize. Maybe that'll work

10. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Yeah, did that the first time, but apparently it's something that's not being removed from Spybot. Somehow it seems to be avoiding the scan, and upon restart of my computer the hijacker stuff is back.

There is something I stumbled upon recently called Hijack This. It seems to entail a fair amount of preparation before use, but I'll probably be resorting to that in the end. Not sure if it'll work, but it sounds like my last, best hope.

11. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Edit: NM it was already suggested. Ditch IE and get Firefox or Opera. [​IMG]

12. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    I had a virus that would do the same thing a while back (reappearing after supposedly being fixed)

It attached itself to windows explorer and would infect files in every folder I opened. It was a right shit to get rid of coz it couldn't be deleted as long as explorer was running (which is all the time)

13. Reduxed

Member Reduxed GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i use ad-aware...wait everybody uses it