Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hi! :D So I have a Laptop here that I got some problems with. The problem is that it cant boot into Windows because it says it is missing the "\windows\system32\config\system" Error: status 0xc00000e9" and I cant manage to fix it with either Startup Repair or the chkdsk /r command :( The thing is that I can't format it since I have over 20gb off important photos on the laptop :/ I have managed to use a Ubuntu Live CD to access the computer, but when I try to copy the files over to my external HDD it goes for some minutes, but then return with an error :( Please help me! :O

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
When you are in the Ubuntu Live cd.
Open the terminal by CTRL+ALT+T.
In the terminal type:
Code:
sudo nautilus
Now try copy the file's from the windows HDD to the external one.
If you still get an error message please write what it says.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Take the drive out of the laptop and see if you can find perhaps an External HDD enclosure or some kind of SATA to USB adapter. Then plug it in to another PC and see if you can transfer files that way. If not, then the drive is likely dead.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
When you are in the Ubuntu Live cd.
Open the terminal by CTRL+ALT+T.
In the terminal type:
Code:
sudo nautilus
Now try copy the file's from the windows HDD to the external one.
If you still get an error message please write what it says.

I got the error again and it says: "Error splicing file : Input/output error :( I'll try to a memory stick instead, since maybe its my external hdd being stupid, or maybe the Hdd inside the laptop is damaged? :(

EDIT: No success with a memory stick either :(

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Sounds to me like damage to the header or platter preventing read operations. One of the signs of a failing HDD. The file tables are still intact so the drive knows what files are where, but actually trying to retrieve them seems to lock it up.
But that's just a guess.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm I looked around and there could be something with the ubuntu's kernel that's on the live usb being outdated which can cause data corruption when trying to move file's larger than 500MB.

Try another live cd and check if it works.
http://ftp.sunet.se/...LiveCD-i686.iso

Thats a direct download link to opensuse.
Put it on a USB/CD and try copy the file's once again.
If it still won't work you could always try upload your file's a cloud storage such as Ubuntu One or Dropbox

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Hmm I looked around and there could be something with the ubuntu's kernel that's on the live usb being outdated which can cause data corruption when trying to move file's larger than 500MB.

Try another live cd and check if it works.
http://ftp.sunet.se/...LiveCD-i686.iso

Thats a direct download link to opensuse.
Put it on a USB/CD and try copy the file's once again.
If it still won't work you could always try upload your file's a cloud storage such as Ubuntu One or Dropbox

Well, I have tried copying one and one file (they are just around 700kb each, but its so many), but even that wouldn't work :( I magically got around 10 pictures now, but it have taken like an hour to manage that and its also just pure luck if it copies some over :/ Im downloading the new Ubuntu CD now and will try that ;)

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I tried using the one you linked, but it failed again :( First I tried to copy one folder (which was around 30mb), but it took way too long time! :O After 5mins it had been staying on only 60kb or something :( Then I tried copying one and one file, but I only recieve this: Cannot copy file from "file location" to "where I'm trying to place the file" (Errno: 5) :( I'll try the dropbox thing now, but our upload speed is very,very,very bad so it would probably take longer than trying to copy it xD

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
The problem is with the source, not the destination. The drive (or something relating to it) is physically fucked up and the computer's having a lot of trouble reading from it.
Oh... :( So you guys don't think that there is any hope getting the pictures out without having to upload every single picture? :( Not really tempting since its 20gb of pictures and that would take weeks with our internet here :(

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always try those last-attempt tricks, like sticking the hard drive in the freezer for about 12 hours or more :/ Some people report dying drives working coming back for a limited time, which may be long enough to gather some of the photos.

But if anything, this is just a good reminder of backing up what you consider important... especially now that the internet makes things so easy and, for the most part, reliable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time... +1