Need help raising volume of a sound effect

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by SuperrSonic, May 23, 2015.

1. SuperrSonic
    OP

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Puerto Rico
    Long story short, Xenoblade has a little sound effect that plays when the character moves; the actual sound has a normal volume but the game lowers it for some reason. I can only hear it if I turn up the TV's volume and get close to the speakers.

The sound is contained in snd.pkb, it is actually a .brsar file, however there are many brsars inside, the file simply doesn't work with BrawlBox. But that's okay, there's around 900 RWAVs in this thing and after a hex editor+winamp marathon; 500 sounds in I finally found it.
    Another thing worth mentioning is that the RSAR format holds a type of volume value for each sound, unfortunately changing the values to something high had no effect at all.

Here's the part I need help with, I have the replacement sound available below. The problem is the volume, raising it digitally just makes it sound trashy and distorted. I was thinking if anyone more experienced out there could manage to raise the volume via analog means or something.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xit1m15juevkgy5/step_concrete.wav?dl=0
    (It's from a Sonic game, it is smaller in size and more appealing, to me anyway.)

The original sound from Xenoblade to get an idea of how much louder it should be, I'd say making it at least 5 times more loud should do it.

2. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    how did you try boosting volume? Best bet is boosting decibel level in audacity or something. If it's distorted, not too much you can really do about it I'm afraid.

3. SuperrSonic
    OP

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Puerto Rico
    My TV's stereo jack input gave the best result, the sound changed a bit but it wasn't total trash. Previously I was using the amplify effect in Audacity.
    Anyway I did the same to four other games and it worked well so I'm guessing Xenoblade deliberately lowers those sounds but it's much better now though.