Need help on NDS/GBA rom playing devices

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by MrRochie, Nov 27, 2007.

Nov 27, 2007
  1. MrRochie
    OP

Member MrRochie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG]
    Greetings... Im new to the Nintendo DS world and I was wondering what I need to play GBA NDS or other roms on my Nintendo DS. I have a lot of Compact flash mem around that I want to use but don't see a lot of compact flash devices out there. Lots of SD or Mini SD etc.. Slot 1 but not much slot 2. I don't want to buy anything I don't absolutely need and there are a lot of confusing options out there. Just need what works. Any thoughts ....suggestions... Please point me in the right direction, I appreciate it.....

"You know you are getting older when you now get the same thrill from a rocking chair that you used to get from a roller coaster"

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    There are several GBA/DS solutions out there, but I'd recommend getting a Slot 1 device (any device, they are pretty much all good) and the EZ Flash 3-in-1 Slot 2 expansion pack. Slot 1 devices use micro SD memory cards, though, but those are very cheap these days.
    This combination will let you play both GBA and DS games on your DS.

As for your CF cards, no new cards use them. Some older cards use CF (Supercard CF, M3 Perfect CF), but I don't know if any of them are available any more. I'm afraid you'll have to get a new memory card as well. Unless you want to get a Slot1 with built-in memory, but those are more expensive than an adapter type card and memory card of the same size combined.

EDIT: Along with the problem of not being available, Slot 2 cards also require a Slot 1 Passme device, at around $20, in order to run DS games and homebrew.

3. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    If you want to go for built in NAND memory, I would suggest a G6 Lite, and if you want to go for expandable memory, I would suggest an EZ Flash IV Lite Deluxe or a M3 Lite.
    Bear in mind that they are all slot 2 carts, and that you will need to flash your DS, or use a NoPass to run DS ROMs off them.

4. Veho

Croatia
    I think the OP was looking for a Slot 2 solution that uses Compact Flash cards, because he already has several of them, so he could avoid buying a memory card, if possible. All other solutions require buying a new memory card, so there's no point in getting a (more expensive) Slot 2 card (plus Passme), since he'd have to buy a new memory card anyway.

5. MrRochie
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Yes Veho you are correct...I am looking to use my exhisting Compact Flash cards if I can, verses buying new memory..
    [​IMG] However, I also don't want to invest in something that is outdated or hard to set up because of the technology anyway so I may need to go to a different memory solution. What about SD cards?? That would be my next choice... price wise....
    I like expandable memory well.... cause it's expandable Thanks

6. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Well MrRochie, as time has gone on, NDS flashcarts have become less and less complicated to use. More and more user friendly cards are on the market now. If you are looking for a good deal, then pick up a M3 Real. If you get the Perfect Bundle, you get a GBA cart as well. The M3 Real uses micro SD cards for storage and also has the ability to use SDHC cards as well. Very expandable if you ask me.

Using the card is very simple. Basically you would insert the micro sd card into the included computer adaptor and then into your computer. Since this would be the first time using it, you will need to install the latest firmware onto the card. All you do is go onto the M3 website, download the firmware, unzip it, and drag the system folder onto your card! Once that is done, create two folders. One named NDS and the other named GBA. Drag and drop the respected roms into those folders.

Once you've done that, just put the micro SD back into the M3 Real and then put the M3 Real into your DS. Put the GBA cart into the bottom slot of your DS as it allows you to boot GBA games then. The main menu shows you where to go from there. This is one of the most user friendly cards I've had since the G6 Lite. The expandable memory is a plus as well.

Edit: I noticed that you've stated that buying SD memory may not be an option for you, but if you are looking for a frustration free entry into the DS scene, then that would be the best route to go outside of getting a card with built in memory such as a G6 Lite or Real. SD memory is cheap as hell anyway with the release of SDHC cards.

Hope this helps in your decision making. Cheers.

Fitzy

7. MrRochie
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] BTW, I see some of you have flashed the DS firmware... Is that required to play DS & GBA roms? Say like custom firmware is to PSP. [​IMG] Also I have a purple DS if colors make a difference in firmware levels and flashing...

8. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    I wouldn't flash the DS firmware unless you are planning on not using a PassMe.

It's sooo much easier to purchase one of the newer cards on the market rather then attempt something like that.

9. Veho

Croatia
    But if you can flash your DS, you can get the EZ Flash 4 Lite Deluxe. That would be cheaper than buying the Slot1/Slot2 bundle.

10. MrRochie
    OP

United States
    Thanks J. Fits..and all that responded. That M3 real sounds like a good solution if I have to buy all new memory and devices. (I really hate too cause being a pack rat I like to get the most use from my old crap). Besides that Im a cheap SOB) [​IMG] .... How many roms can go on a G6 if I went that route? and where are the best deals? Im in the USA...

11. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Well living in Canada the easiest and best route for me to take is kickgaming.com. They ship to the US and always have pretty good deals.

The G6 Lite and the G6 Real both have internal storage. The Lite from my experience could fit about 20 DS roms and 15-20 GBA roms on it. The G6 Real has more internal storage then the Lite so I would imagine it could double that.

Quite understandable you don't want to spend more money then you have to but trust me when you get a lot roms downloaded and start playing them all you'll see how worth it it is.

Fitzy

12. MrRochie
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Question Veho......What else would I need if I were to try the EZflash4.. carts, memory, passme cards etc... Is that the best and cheapest way to play my DS, GBA and other roms just flash the ds firmware?? Hows that work?...[​IMG]

BTY.. I already have a usb card reader for my computer that will read most memory cards so I would not need to buy one in a kit...

Edit: Posts edited together, duplicate deleted. Don't double post. [​IMG] - Ace

13. Veho

Croatia
    Flashing your DS only enables you to run DS games and homebrew from a Slot 2 card without a Passme device.

To flash the DS firmware you need a Slot 1 flashcard, or a Slot 2 flashcard and a Passme device. You have to open the battery cover, short-circuit two points inside the DS, and then run the flasher program from the flashcard. Fiddly business, and there's a Catch 22 involved: in order to flash your DS so you wouldn't need a Passcard, you have to have a Passcard [​IMG]

If you can flash your DS, the cheapest (good) solution (that would enable GBA and DS games and homebrew) would be the EZ Flash 4 Lite Deluxe. Around $35 plus memory card. You could also get a Passcard instead of flashing, at around $20, but then the total cost would be more than getting a Slot 1 card and RAM expansion.

If you can't flash your DS, the cheapest (good) solution would be the R4 v2, M3 Real, or CycloDS Evolution, plus the EZ Flash 3-in-1 expansion pack. This combo is a good solution, for example. $50, free shipping.

Both of these solutions use micro SD memory cards. They are cheap these days, and prices keep dropping. You can get a 2 GB card for $25.

14. MrRochie
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Thanks Veho... for your help.. I will look into your suggestions.. Problem being.. Im in the US. and most of the stores are located overseas but will ship to US. Once you roll in shipping and the long delay, it can get costly and frustrating waiting 8 to 10 weeks for your toys. Especially around Christmas time here. Need a local store for the goodies.. Like EB games etc... I just keep looking at this stack of CF on my desk here that I am getting ready to throw back in the drawer cause they are outdated old technology.. Waaahh [​IMG]

15. Veho

Croatia
    There are many US-based stores. And shipping times are never that bad (8 to 10 weeks [​IMG] where did you get that number from?).

16. MrRochie
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Well.... ok it took only took 7 weeks from game@#$%* ordering PSP joystick replacement during August so I figure with Christmas around the corner probably longer [​IMG] ..... You have any good suggestions for US stores Im lookin at AMAZON for an R4 + 3 in 1 or some bundle I really want to play NDS & GBA roms.... [​IMG]

17. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    RealHotStuff is known for their incredibly fast shipping. I used the cheapest shipping option ($8 at the time, dunno what it is now) and received the package 3 days later in perfect condition. They have the R4 and 3in1 as far as I know.

18. MrRochie
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Thanks dudes and dudettes.... for all the great feedback . I have about decided to toss my CF cards [​IMG] and get either the M3 Real bundle with GBA cart - Rumble pack & buy a microsd card (spend about 60 bucks [​IMG]) or a R4 3-in-1. I know this question has been asked 100 million times but for a complete package solution with minimal cost that would allow me to play nds, gba and other roms, plus movies, music, & pictures etc.... Which is a better deal? and where? I know the R4 is newest and quicker to update their firmware. But I haven't read anything really negative about either... Since they are bacially the same card right? Thoughts suggestions?? [​IMG]

BTW.. I flash my PSP with custom firmware all the time and I haven't bricked it yet so flashing might also be an option...

[​IMG]

Quote for the day...
    "When it all comes down you gotta realize that some days your the pidgeon and some days your the statue"

19. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The M3 Simply and the R4 are the same thing. The M3 Real is a new product that's entirely different and comes with the slot-2 addon. Looking at the forums both here and at Maxconsole, there appears to be some issues with the M3 Real at the moment, so I'd stay away until things stabilize.

For your situation, I'd recommend the 3in1 with either the R4 or CycloDS Evolution.

Flashing is a possibility, yes, but for slot-1 users it's not quite as useful as it is for slot-2 users. You would get rid of the health and safety warning screen though, which is a nice bonus. You'd also be protected against brickers, though they haven't appeared in the wild for years now.

20. Veho

Croatia
    [​IMG] Don't toss them away, give them to me!