Hacking Need HELP on Install!

arukado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed a wiikey but when i go to hook up my wii the red light comes on but the system wont turn on! What could be the reason? Im about to post some pics of the install. Any help suggestions, please.

I just rechecked my wiring, everything seems good and i see no bridges, why will my system light come on but wont turn on with wii mote or power button on console?

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

arukado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just removed the wiikey and same thing, system red light comes on but it wont turn on. Did I fry it? It wont respond if i try to feed it disks, wont turn on with wii mote and wont turn on with switch. If i hold down the power switch i hear real fain clicks. If i hit the power buttom once i hear the same low faint click but nothing.

Im using component cables but if the system would turn on at least i see some light changes and the disk feeding would work. I think the system got fried somehow? If it did would the power light come on at all?

...I just can't believe my system is not working..I took every precaution. I have no clue why it wont turn on. I would understand if i did some damage you could see or something. My best guess is that i bridege something and fried it but I dont see where i did that.
hate2.gif
If i fried it why does the red light come on
unsure.gif

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
look real closely to look for bridges or damage to the pcb if non can be found try bridging the fuse locations, think it was maxconsole but theres a diagram with 2 fuse locations on the wii drive. in the mean time i'll look for that image, feel free to look for it also

QUOTE said:
If i fried it why does the red light come on
wii system could be working fine, you just have just fried the drive, try disconnecting your drive and turning the wii on, it should turn on fine if not then theres something else wrong beside your drive. also the reason it wont turn on is because something is wrong, ie short circuit and its failsafe system so the wii doesnt smoke and give you cancer from burning cheap chinese parts.

it does sound like a short circuit though shake the wii a little to see if a screw or a nut falls out

*Edit*
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=50528

oh before removing fuse, check with multimeter
shows location for one of the fuse, but i swear there was a picture showing 2 fuses still looking...

arukado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i happen to bridge this fuse and the fuse wasn't blown will It damage it? Also if my drive stop working does that mean the system won't turn on? Its not accepting disks so this might be the problem? I just never heard of this after reading up on this for a month. Im completely blindsided by this. So myssystem light comes on but wont turn on, that automatically means the fuse was blown?

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no bridging fuses isnt that harmful unless something causes a electrical spike in the region then it would fry your system/drive, i do have to say it isnt the smartest thing to do but its better then a dead system/drive. my ds lite has 2 bridged fuse, battery and charger fuse both blown because i was experimenting lol but both bridged and been working fine for the past 3+ months

did you check the fuse with the multimeter?
did you test the wii without connecting the drive (does it turn on?)
did you check for loose metal by shaking the wii?
did you check all the connections? drive ribbon cable/plug cable
finally if you are unsure of what your doing stop, and look for someone else who will do it for you (that does know what he/she is doing)

arukado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i checked that fuse with a multimeter and it beeps and says .02. I went ahead and took disconnected the drive and the system powers on and i get the wiimenu. Something is up with my drive. The drive ribbon cable/plug cable look fine but my problem has to be there somewhere. I could use any suggetions.

OK it turns on with the ribbon hooked in but not with the Plug, something is up with my plug and i dont know what. Or maybe my drive is dead. I cant tell never heard of this.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
plug is power

the not turning on thing kinda makes me think you have a short somewhere, did you check for solder splashes or drips?

check with a magnifying glass with good light, wii points are so damn small its hard to tell sometimes

arukado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, ok im going to go out for dinner then when i come back im gonna check for bridges. If anywhere they might be on the 3,4,5,6 points. If I mess around there too much with the iron i might pull some pads so thats gonna suck. Thanks for the advice I'll post my findings.

arukado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I've been looking closely and I dont see any bridges. Been looking at my power plug and it had 2 bent pins and I fixed those. What I wonder is if someone can post a picture of the plug so i can compare pins. Other than this I cant think of anything else causing my drive not to function.

arukado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st of all Takrin, thanks a bunch load. This helped me out like no other. That was my prob, i Had ond one more bent pin that was stoppping my drive to receive power. Once we fixed it with a needle the drive powered up!! Went in an reoldered the points and the wiikey is working!! Thanks a billion, I owe you a coke.
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi +1